To eBay or not to eBay?

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

I think eBay is.....

better than ever.
17%
getting worse by the day.
35%
looking after buyers more than sellers.
20%
expensive for low value items.
17%
'cheap as chips'.
5%
geared towards power sellers, not individual lower volume sellers.
2%

Total votes : 34

Re: To eBay or not to eBay?

Postby kevinramsdale on Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:41 am

eBay are constantly tinkering with the way the site works, and need careful monitoring so as not to be hit by unexpected fees

I think that you can opt out of the auto relist on the advanced selling form?
Kevin
kevinramsdale

Postby Moonraker on Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:05 pm

Probably, but I've yet to explore the finer points of the latest eBay revamp. One small advantage of re-listing is that one can tweak the title to aim at different sectors of collecting interest.
Moonraker

Postby Moonraker on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:32 am

I've just checked out the re-listing process and indeed one has to select the eight-times option. Nearly all my postcard listings are of common cards left-over from bulk purchases, and I didn't mind the old system of them being re-listed once. But I reckon that if no-one's interested after two listings there's no point in going on adding to the dross. Pity one can't specify the number of re-listings.

Currently I'm listing as one lot five or six cards of the same army camps. My original starting price was £4.99, but I didn't get any bids, then I dropped the price to £4.19 and have one bid for that - which I'm happy enough with, as I just want to find a home for them.
Moonraker

Postby Moonraker on Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:04 pm

Oh the irony. Early this year I won a couple of "military Wiltshire" lots at a traditional auction and got my money's worth from the cards I wanted for my collection - leaving me with about 25 surplus cards that I've been gradually selling off on eBay. One bonus was that, despite its Wiltshire postmark, one card showed a camp on the Isle of Man and so fetched more than double what it would have done had it shown the camp suggested by the postmark.

Then I offered four or five cards each of two camps in two separate lots and got no interest despite a starting price of £6 or so for each. Fair enough, they were common cards. Finally I put the two lots together, threw in three more cards, two of which were very unremarkable, and gave a starting price of £9.99. To my surprise the combined lot has just gone for £24 ...
Moonraker

Postby eastlondonpostcard on Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:41 am

Still cannot understand why sellers stick with ebay (nicknamed 'greedbay') with the high cost of selling on there, they even charge you fees on the postage (cheek!)

I know they have a lot of users, so why the exorbitant fees... why don't they reduce the costs in order to keep hold of them - hence the nickname...

The alternatives are sooooooo much cheaper! :-)
~ send it on a Postcard please ~
eastlondonpostcard

Previous

Return to Postcard Collecting