Copies of Postcards

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

oldpostcarder
Prove you are not a bot!: rectangle
another daft question: stamp

Copies of Postcards

Post by oldpostcarder » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:38 pm

There are a number of sellers online who appear to be doing rather well selling scanned copies of postcards, I wonder who buys these?

As a collector, I much prefer the real thing... woudln't you?

:D

Moonraker

Re: Copies of Postcards

Post by Moonraker » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:43 pm

Very odd. I'm sure that we already had a thread about this, to which I contributed. It referred to a discussion in Picture Postcard Monthly and recently I noted the very high positive feedback for one particular person who enjoys large sales on eBay. Some purchasers, having bought particular cards, noticed that copies, blemishes and all, were being listed on eBay. I also observed that it was annoying to search for cards of a particular village with strong railway links and find that half the listings were for copies.

But I can't find the thread. Certainly it was not complimentary of the copiers but I can recall nothing that was potentially libellous and so meriting its removal.

eastlondonpostcard

Post by eastlondonpostcard » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:33 pm

Yes, there was another thread which was moved out of the public eye while the wording is analyzed for possible libel.

Apologies to the contributors concerned.

It appears post card 'copyright' has once again become a very contentious & sensitive issue.
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

johnh

Post by johnh » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:23 pm

I have now reported the seller to Ebay he has scanned at least 40 0000 cards, 72 of them cards are mine i cant mention his name on here as my last post about this fraudulent seller was removed as he threatened legal action to protect his £ 1000 a month dishonest business ,I urge all buyers and sellers to do the same ,if you have brought or sold he will have copied them

eastlondonpostcard

Post by eastlondonpostcard » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:41 pm

Thanks for the update on this contentious issue. Would be interested to hear how the reporting goes and whether any action is taken by ebay...

A lesson for sellers to put a watermark on their images before listing online too.
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:16 pm

I contributed to the original thread, now deleted. The practice annoys me, as some my localised searches on eBay lead to results dominated by modern prints of old postcards. The person that JohnH may have in mind is not as annoying as his Australian counterpart who many times uses the phrases "OLD LARGE HISTORIC PHOTO " to describe his copies. Negative comments by people who have been misled or disappointed with the quality of the copies mean he has only 98.6% positive feedback - quite low by eBay standards. But 10,400 customers were happy with their transactions...

I fear that eBay will be unsympathetic to JohnH's complaint - and I suspect that our Moderator would not relish us getting into a debate about the ethics.

It would appear that eBay may be the person's main harvesting area; even if he were to be banned there, he could easily trawl other websites for similar images.

(To go off topic, my other eBay dislike are people who offer "Old antique prints" that are pages torn from old magazines - which hopefully were very tatty to start with, rather than in good condition - at prices up to £60 a page.)