Best Storage method please

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

piggolo

Best Storage method please

Post by piggolo »

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help with a little advice on storage please? I'm a novice with postcards and have never collected, however, I've just been given an amazing old family collection. I've counted approx 650 cards - in my simple terms, many are absolutely superb dating from around 1900. Lots of family history including messages from my ancestors, seasonal greetings cards and wonderful people pictures. I get goose pimples reading them.

The problem is they are housed in a deteriorating contemporary heavy tome album. Many cards have become loose and just sit between the pages. I'd love to keep the old album but I feel it has to be retired.

What is the best way forward? I'm beginning to wonder whether an album is actually NOT best? I see accessory dealers offer individual wallets - is that recommended? Can I get storage boxes of the right dimensions to fit these wallets?

Any thoughts.... please, please, please. Cost isn't too relevant, I'd rather it be right.

Thanks,

kevinramsdale

Re: Best Storage method please

Post by kevinramsdale »

piggolo wrote:Hi everyone,

Can anyone help with a little advice on storage please? I'm a novice with postcards and have never collected, however, I've just been given an amazing old family collection. I've counted approx 650 cards - in my simple terms, many are absolutely superb dating from around 1900. Lots of family history including messages from my ancestors, seasonal greetings cards and wonderful people pictures. I get goose pimples reading them.

The problem is they are housed in a deteriorating contemporary heavy tome album. Many cards have become loose and just sit between the pages. I'd love to keep the old album but I feel it has to be retired.

What is the best way forward? I'm beginning to wonder whether an album is actually NOT best? I see accessory dealers offer individual wallets - is that recommended? Can I get storage boxes of the right dimensions to fit these wallets?

Any thoughts.... please, please, please. Cost isn't too relevant, I'd rather it be right.

Thanks,
There is a useful list of accessory suppliers on the PTA homepage:

http://www.postcard.co.uk/accessories.php

Rob Roy Albums would have all you need.

The individual wallet and storage box combination takes up less space than modern albums, as well as offering more flexibility (and would be a lot cheaper)

Albums are nice to look through though - handy if you are showing the collection to someone. In any event get the cards out of that old album as soon as possible, it isn't good for them.
Kevin

piggolo

Post by piggolo »

Excellent. Thanks for the reply.

More questions...... how many cards (in their pockets) fit in a 286mm box ?

Also, I'm struggling to find a picture of the boxes on offer. Are they fairly robust ? Do they come ready made (so to speak) ?

Thanks again.

kevinramsdale

Post by kevinramsdale »

piggolo wrote:Excellent. Thanks for the reply.

More questions...... how many cards (in their pockets) fit in a 286mm box ?

Also, I'm struggling to find a picture of the boxes on offer. Are they fairly robust ? Do they come ready made (so to speak) ?

Thanks again.
You should be able to get your 650 cards into two boxes if in sleeves, they come ready made and are plenty sturdy enough - many postcard dealers use them to contain their stock at fairs - partly owing to the layout flexibility they offer.

Are you in the UK by the way? Shipping them to you may be expensive otherwise.
Kevin

piggolo

Re: Storage / Naming conventions

Post by piggolo »

Yes, I'm in the UK. Thanks for the information.

I intend scanning the cards so I've got electronic copies... then they're available if needed by the family plus potential insurance security.

Next problem is naming conventions !!!! ?

There are a mixture of towns, also seasonal greetings, humour and real photos of family. Front and back plus written on and blank. I've also got a small selection with additional notes relating to who the person might be.

Has anyone come up with a good method of indexing / naming electronically ?

Once again, thank you in anticipation of comments......