Help! Postcard sizes and definitions

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

speedstox12

Help! Postcard sizes and definitions

Post by speedstox12 »

I have a collection of 500-plus postcards that I have been trying to sell to dealers. While they are set into various categories (about 40 of them) i.e country, trains, art,religion, etc, they have not been sold mainly for these reasons:
(!) Many of them are the wrong size being what are termed "Modern Postcards'
(2) There countries or subjects in which there is little or no interest i.e two examples - Russia and bullfighting.
The period for these cards (there are some 'very old ones') is mainly early 1980s onwards.
Basically, am I wasting my time going to fairs and events featuring recognised (and respected) dealers and would I do better by trying to sell these via ebay and similar collectors sites?
Please reply either vis this excellent site or directly to me at speedstox12@yahoo.com
Thank you for any help you can give to me.

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Re: Help! Postcard sizes and definitions

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

By the sound of it, it's not so much the wrong size - it's just that they are too modern for most dealers who prefer trading Postcards of the 'Golden Age' - the Edwardian period. I believe collectors of modern 'larger format' postcards seem to prefer subjects/themes - postcards of the 1980s period will have their day I'm sure, just as the 1950/60s period are gaining popularity at the moment - hope this helps - best luck.
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

speedstox12

Post by speedstox12 »

eastlondonpostcard wrote:By the sound of it, it's not so much the wrong size - it's just that they are too modern for most dealers who prefer trading Postcards of the 'Golden Age' - the Edwardian period. I believe collectors of modern 'larger format' postcards seem to prefer subjects/themes - postcards of the 1980s period will have their day I'm sure, just as the 1950/60s period are gaining popularity at the moment - hope this helps - best luck.
Thank you for the helpful reply to my query in regard to Modern Postcards. I do have my 500=plus postcards broken down into themes/subjects (some 40 of them).
The premise in most cases is that longevity makes an item rarer. That being so, it just looks as though i"ll have to put my collection in the loft and leave a note for my grandchildren where to find them?
Seriously, I have tried to find details of possible dealers in Modern Postcards (for the south London area) without any success.
Sadly what I have are even newer than the 1950/60 era that you mention - probably from mid to late 1980s but largely for the 1990s onwards.
Perhaps I should sign this message off as ---
"Disappointed of Penge!"

speedstox12

Post by speedstox12 »

Is it worth me visiting this Sunday's (September 23) Postcard Collectors Fair, London Royal National Hotel, Russell Square, WC1, hoping to get a deal in regard to my MODERN POSTCARDS?
Any advice appreciated. How much is a the admission charge for visitors? I could go there just to browse anyway. What time does the event start please?
Thank you.
speedstox12.

speedstox12

Post by speedstox12 »

speedstox12 wrote:Is it worth me visiting this Sunday's (September 23) Postcard Collectors Fair, London Royal National Hotel, Russell Square, WC1, hoping to get a deal in regard to my MODERN POSTCARDS?
Any advice appreciated. How much is a the admission charge for visitors? I could go there just to browse anyway. What time does the event start please?
Thank you.
speedstox12.
As I never heard how much the cost of entry would be I didn't attend. But for anyone who did, could they advise me if there were any dealers present who were trading Modern Postcards - late 1970s onwards? Thank you.

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

Information about the Bloomsbury Fair is here: http://www.memoriespostcards.co.uk/index27a.htm - there is a regular Modern dealer: Mike Huddy - however, I believe he will not be at the October event - best to contact the organiser before visiting
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

speedstox12

Post by speedstox12 »

eastlondonpostcard wrote:Information about the Bloomsbury Fair is here: http://www.memoriespostcards.co.uk/index27a.htm - there is a regular Modern dealer: Mike Huddy - however, I believe he will not be at the October event - best to contact the organiser before visiting
I really appreciate this response. I will attempt to get to the November event if the organiser confirms that Mike Huddy will be there. Thank you.

speedstox12

Post by speedstox12 »

My modern postcard collection from the 1980s onwards comprises the following: does it have any value or is just a lot of rubbish I have collated.?
22 Various (include Spain 1982 World Cup, Mexico, Sri Lanka, Hong Kong; 3 Cyprus 4 Ireland; 9 France; 3 Italy; 5 Austria and Germany; 13 USA; 60 Britain; 27 Publicity; 22 Building and scenes Set 20 cards trains plus one train South Africa; 17 from set 20 trains; 3 Tunisia; 3 Egypt; 6 Australia; 6 Turkey 9 “seaside’ humour cards; 36 religion - churches, paintings, etc; 3 Canada; 36 depicting art; 38 Spain bullfighting; 4 New Zealand; 12 Czech Republic; 6 Corfu; 106 Spain; 45 Advertisers cards; Wallace & Gromit ‘A Close Shave’ postcard book (contains 12 cards). Total: 491 cards.
The cards contain a variety of topics - scenes, characters, buildings - all that one associates with Modern Postcards. They are in a good, clean condituion. However, it would seem that they are valueless - dealers I have tried to interest in them just give polite rejections. Any advice please.

vectis101

Post by vectis101 »

looking at your list speedstox I think you are on a losing wicked, most will sell in dealers boxes at 5p or less. Best to place the whole lot into an auction. see PPM (Picture Postcard Monthly) obtain a copy fro Reflections of a bygone age, sorry dont have address to hand.