Set of [French] War Propaganda Postcards - CROISSANT (1914)

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

jamie.long951

Set of [French] War Propaganda Postcards - CROISSANT (1914)

Post by jamie.long951 »

Hi,

I have a set of 6 French War propaganda postcards. They all have a picture, with a short caption at the bottom. On the reverse 'Ch. FONTANE, 30, Rue du Mail - Vise PARIS N' AU Verse'.

They are good condition and non-mailed (blank). They are each numbered 134-1 through to 6 so I'm assuming they are a set in a series. Given to me by my Grandma, she got them from a friend.

Not wishing to sell them etc, but curious to know if they are worth anything? I've done a google search and can't find any trace of them/or for sale anywhere. Furthermore i'm told they are from 1914, obviously from WW1 so within 4 years of then.

Cheers,
Jamie

speedstox12

Re: Set of [French] War Propaganda Postcards - CROISSANT (1914)

Post by speedstox12 »

According to wikipedia the definition of croissant is::::
A croissant (/krəˈsɑːnt/ or /kwɑːˈsɒn/; French pronunciation: [kʁwa.sɑ̃] ( listen)) is a buttery flaky viennoiserie bread roll named for its distinctive crescent shape.
I wonder what part croissants played in France's 1914-18 war effort?

About Postcards

Post by About Postcards »

Hello Jamie,

I've seen this set before, on offer at around six pounds per card though I don't know if they sold. Quite distinctive cards, black & white images. The seller was presenting them with Croissant as the artist name but I did wonder if the name was that of a publisher or perhaps a reference to the Red Cross/Crescent and that they might be wartime fund raising cards. They are WW1.

jamie.long951

Post by jamie.long951 »

Thanks for the reply and info!

That sounds about right - anyhow, I'll be hanging onto them!

Cheers

jamie.long951

Post by jamie.long951 »

To follow on from this thread... I recently got these postcards back out again and had a proper look at them - I've noticed a signature/initials on 5 of the 6 cards (set) which I'm assuming would be the artist - it's hidden in different places on the pictures on the cards and is quite hard to spot on some which is why I never noticed it before...

First two letters of initials looks like ' B i ' with the i being underlined - the last initial could be a ' q , c or something else ' does this mean anything to anyone? If anyone is interested in helping me identify I can do a Scan and upload? Cheers