Post Office picture card series 1980s

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

speedstox12

Post Office picture card series 1980s

Post by speedstox12 »

Is there a possible valuation on these cards - I have discovered 97 of them?
They were (c) Post Office Picture Cards Series - probably circa 1984 period.
The cards depict postal themes, like issued stamps. as well as depictions of mail deliveries made by mail coach and similar methods. The majority are them mint - only a very small minority have been used to send a message.
Were this a proboards site would have scanned and posted some examples but I am uncertain, nor "clever enough' to do that on this board system.
Anyway, I would be interested to know just what these cards are all about. Thank you.

About Postcards

Re: Post Office picture card series 1980s

Post by About Postcards »

Your cards are known as PHQ postcards, issued from 1973 onwards and depicting the design of a commemorative Royal Mail stamp that was issued at much the same time. The PHQ stands for Postal Headquarters. If you run an internet search for PHQ you will find examples and prevailing prices. There's a Wikipedia page with some introductory information at the following link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHQ_card .
Hope this helps.

speedstox12

Post by speedstox12 »

About Postcards wrote:Your cards are known as PHQ postcards, issued from 1973 onwards and depicting the design of a commemorative Royal Mail stamp that was issued at much the same time. The PHQ stands for Postal Headquarters. If you run an internet search for PHQ you will find examples and prevailing prices. There's a Wikipedia page with some introductory information at the following link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHQ_card .
Hope this helps.
Thanks for your advice which I followed. From what I saw they don't appear to have much value? Too many in circulation. However, I see the cards are in various sets which I'll start to sort out - years, etc. A few bob to help an old pensioner might be there from a kindly dealer at one of the fairs?

About Postcards

Post by About Postcards »

Correct, with VERY few exceptions they are of limited value. The designs, like the stamps, are nice and there are some collectors but supply is generally higher than demand. In a xx years time they may be of more interest. If I were you I'd enjoy them for what they are.

I've used them before now to send as simple greeting and item of interest to grandchildren.

speedstox12

Post by speedstox12 »

PHQ as collectors items would appear to be of no value. I have just been on ebay and trawled through pages of listings for them - all at extremely low price offers. And I have also seen pages of no response to those on sale. The best once can say, perhaps, is that "they look nice." But it seems nobody is interested in them. And I have 97 in mint condition - and debating if I have enough room to place them in this week's council wastepaper collection.
Last edited by speedstox12 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

speedstox12

Post by speedstox12 »

speedstox12 wrote:PHQ as collectors items would appear to be of no value. I have just been on ebay and trawled through pages of listings for them - all at extremely low price offers. And I have also seen pages of no response to those on sale. The best once can say, perhaps, is that "they look nice." But it see,s nobody is interested in them. And I have 97 in mint condition - and debating if I have enough room to place them in this week's council wastepaper collection.
In a last desperate effort I have put these up on ebay. I don't know how good that is as an outlet for items like this so it's 'fingers crossed' for me.

speedstox12

Post by speedstox12 »

I am virtually "giving away" 97 of these cards in advert on ebay. Set there for seven days, with just a couple of hours to run as at the time of this Post there's no interest at all. The same items ran before that for seven days with no interest. PM me for the Link if anyone is interested

speedstox12

Post by speedstox12 »

There really does not seem to be any interest in these sort of cards. I am offering 97 cards for £1.50 plus £5 postage (with refund of any difference in the buyer's favour), no watchers or anything and there's about an hour left after seven days on the site..

vectis101

Post by vectis101 »

Sorry speedstox but I have 4 shoeboex full mint and postal used with special postmarks. Too many were printed so value about a 1p each. There are dealers who will buy them if in complete sets.