Fergusson Limited

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Des_Beechey

Fergusson Limited

Post by Des_Beechey »

I am looking for information on the postcard publisher Fergusson LImited. Their cards say "London and Sydney", but most of the cards I see on the web are of New Zealand, from the early 20th C.

Does anyone know who and where they were?

Des Beechey, Sydney

About Postcards

Re: Fergusson Limited

Post by About Postcards »

I've checked some (there were so many) London Post Office directories of early 1900's and can't locate a Fergusson Limited that's associated with printing or publishing.

A 1913 directory for Sydney lists a Fergusson Limited as a wholesale stationers at 39 Carrington Street Sydney, that may be them but there is no way to be sure. An earlier record has the company formation details and a slightly different address "FERGUSSON LIMITED (Wholesale Booksellers and Stationers).— Registered in N.S.W., February 20, 1907. Office: Wynyard Buildings, 44 Carrlngton street, Sydney. Managing Director: P. H. Fergusson. Secretary: W. H. Phimme". The question to ask is whether the 1907 registration date pre or post dates the postcards ?

An internet book search locates a few titles published by them, all NZ related and one on the Google Books site giving their location as "Fergusson Limited, Auckland". The books are all travel views.

It's possibly a bag of false trails but if you can check company registration details and then link director names back to UK company registrations that might get you somewhere.

Good Luck.