Weymouth Postcards

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

nellasil

Weymouth Postcards

Post by nellasil »

Hi All.

Newbie here!!

I have 28 postcards of Weymouth, is the best thing to find a dealer, go to an auction or simply put them on ebay for the best price?? Some of the cards are over 100 years old some are postally used, but all in good condition please help!

Thanks
Lisa

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Re: Weymouth Postcards

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

Welcome Lisa

Well, there are many ways to dispose of these and all involve a bit of time. If you are local to Dorchester, for example, you could get in touch with the Dorset Postcard Club who meet every 2nd Wednesday each month, I believe. I know there is one member who is keen on Weymouth views, especially those by publisher Edwin Seward and you would get an honest/fair price for the cards.

Approaching a dealer near you, or better, attending a Postcard Fair near you is also a good option. Particularly, at a Postcard fair you will be able to get an idea of price/value from many different dealers and compare the best one. Most dealers are happy to quote a price for them all. The obvious attraction is that you can sell them straight away if the offer is a good one.

Putting them into an specialized auction house will incur overheads: listing fees, final sale fees and VAT generally. If the lot is not of a certain value some auctioneers will not accept a single lot like this. There are many to choose from, it would be best to find one near to you. The other downside is that you may have to wait for the next sale to come along and possibly some time after that for your money.

Listing them youself on an on-line auction house individually will also involve some overheads and of course some time. You would need to register - set up an account if you haven't one already - scan and list - then wait for buyer(s) to notice/want the postcards: a sale is not always guaranteed either! When it does sell, then you will have final value fees, postage and payment costs to deal with.

Ebay is the biggest site, but their set-up process now requires certain criteria to be met and their fees are considerd much higher than say, Delcampe. A popular alternative for a small seller is eBid - they have seller options without any set-up or listing fees and very low final value fees.

It would be worth checking your options for all of these before you start. As I say, it could take time to sell them this way. Unless you are going to sell often, then this method is not necessarily the best.

Well, I do hope this helps - best luck with sales!
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

Moonraker

Re: Weymouth Postcards

Post by Moonraker »

"Seaside resort" postcards can be quite common, so not worth very much. Photos of the sea front, town centre or hotels were the obvious choice for visitors to buy and send. A few years ago I had a dozen such PCs 90 or 100 years old of Torquay - I did offer them on eBay, but got no bids at all. Why not check out eBay to see what interest there is in comparable cards?

Moonraker