Novice collector needs advice

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

CBlomeley

Novice collector needs advice

Post by CBlomeley »

I am posting on behalf of my father who was started collecting some postcards and Christmas/greetings cards alongside his large stamp collection.

He recently picked up an excellent album full of vintage postcards, that had been used in a kind of scrapbook way, as was the want in the period. The cards have been glued onto both sides of the scrap book pages, in different formations, so it is al but impossible to cut around the cards for remounting or similar. He really needs a way of safely removing the cards from the book pages, which is where I come in! He has asked me to find a "solution" on the internet, but as you can imagine it is not as easy as it seems!
However I found this site and forum and thought it would be a good place to start..

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what can be done to get the cards, safely off the pages?! Are there any products you would recommend or other tools/advice

Many thanks in advance

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Re: Novice collector needs advice

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

Well, it is a matter of trial and error really. It all depends on the paper, the glue that was used and how well they were glued in the first place. As far as I know there is no magic solution that acts as a 'cure-all' - so best to choose the least valuable ones and experiment... a sharp craft knife used with care, can also be employed to tease them from the pages: but you need to take care too!

Hope this helps - Best Luck!
~ send it on a Postcard please ~