Edgar Longstaffe

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

rosco

Edgar Longstaffe

Post by rosco »

Could someone please tell me if there is any means of finding out a full list of postcards (Hildesheimer & Tuck Oilette) with the paintings of E Longstaffe. At the moment I have approx 140 and buy from e-bay so I know there is quite a few that I have not 'won'. Postcard fairs are unheard of where I live unfortunately and being disabled and a senior citizen, travel is not really an option.

kevinramsdale

Post by kevinramsdale »

There is a website covering the output of S Hildesheimer at:

http://www.tombleson.com/

Unfortunately the artist section is still "under construction" but should eventually provide some of the info you require

For Tuck postcards you probably need to track down a copy of:

The Picture Postcards of Raphael Tuck and Sons with Index. (Smith) (2000)

but at around £30 that might be a bit expensive just for the Longstaffe section.

Perhaps someone with a copy of this book can help?

Kevin
Kevin

vin harrop

Re: Edgar Longstaffe

Post by vin harrop »

My name is Vin Harrop and I am the Heritage Director of Basildon in Essex. I was interested in the request posted by rosco on 19 October 2006 concerning the postcards published by Hildesheimer & Tuck with the paintings of Edgar Longstaffe. We have just discoverd Longstaffe' s grave in the undergrowth of St Nicholas Church, Laindon, Essex and so we are now curious to find out more about him. If someone has a collection of his picture postcards on a website that we could take a look at, furthermore we are anxious to acquire a photograph of Longstaffe if one exists. Anything that anyone can do to help us throw some more light on this adopted Essex artist would be greatly appreciated.
Vin Harrop
Basildon Heritage Director
vin@designessex.com