Amateur postcards

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

davidnugget

Amateur postcards

Post by davidnugget »

I have a card posted in 1907, a view near Harrogate, which on the reverse says "This is one of my first efforts in photography. What do you think of it?"
Was this common? It would explain why so many photo cards have no publisher's marks.

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Re: Amateur postcards

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

davidnugget wrote:I have a card posted in 1907, a view near Harrogate, which on the reverse says "This is one of my first efforts in photography. What do you think of it?"
Was this common? It would explain why so many photo cards have no publisher's marks.
Absolutely a common occurrence... with the invention of the box brownie camera, more people were able to join in the personal photo revolution. When this developed into a working man's hobby it was possible to buy postcard-size papers with a printed postcard back to print your own real photo postcards. Not sure when these papers stopped being produced; I can recall using these papers myself in the 1960s!

These are in a way quite unique and special as they were obviously produced in lesser numbers, so perhaps they are undervalued?
~ send it on a Postcard please ~