Ebay seller scanning sellers cards

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Ebay seller scanning sellers cards

Postby johnh on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:48 pm

please be aware of a seller called sainty87 on ebay makes a dishonest living scanning sellers cards and then make out the are from his own personal collection he even copies the listing heading I guarantee if you have brought or sold a postard he has scanned, if you can remember the listing please report him to Ebay thank you
johnh

Re: Ebay seller scanning sellers cards

Postby Moonraker on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:53 pm

By looking at his "shop", I see what you mean, and he's been rumbled by some of his customers. A couple of years ago, I fell for an offer of "OLD LARGE HISTORIC PHOTO OF AUSTRALIAN ANZAC SOLDIERS PLAYING 2-UP, HURDCOTT WWI", which turned out to be a modern enlarged copy of an old postcard. I got my money back and asked for a return address, but never received one, so I've still got the photo.

Other people leaving negative Feedback have pointed out the vendor's misleading descriptions, but currently he's got FOUR listings (with two different prices) of the photo and blurb that fooled me.I would have thought that by now he would have polished up how he words his listing - some other vendors of this sort of material do stress that they're offering modern copies.
Moonraker

Postby johnh on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:30 pm

Brought a postcard with so many spelling mistakesin the listing , to my surprise a similar card appeared on Ebay a few months later and the same spelling mistakes in the heading, I would say he makes about a £1000 a month from his dishonestly
johnh

Postby eastlondonpostcard on Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:27 pm

Interesting article in latest (August) Picture Postcard Monthly which debates this activity... seems it is more widespread than imagined. I did some research myself and even found one seller listing a photo with a copyright symbol in the picture from the original owner!

The site owner's (ebay in particular I would say) do not appear bothered by these sellers making money from 'pirated' images either. They are on the face of it, genuine sellers and it brings them revenue too.

The article concludes that the best way to safeguard your images on-line is to put an adequate watermark on them or use a low-res scan.

- ouch for the future!
~ send it on a Postcard please ~
eastlondonpostcard

Postby Moonraker on Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:35 pm

In some cases people wanting copies of postcards can find the originals elsewhere on the Web and print them off for themselves.

Looking for "collectables" for a specific village on eBay can produce frustrating results: a high proportion of copied postcards, a plethora of mugs, key rings and fridge magnets bearing the village name and genuine cards overpriced by a factor of three or more.
Moonraker

Return to Postcard Collecting