Publisher The Knight Collection

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

normanfrank

Publisher The Knight Collection

Post by normanfrank »

Can anyone offer any background to the title "The Knight Collection" ? Does the name connect with the two Knight brothers, Watson and George ?
Apparently they had worked for Wrench, but left to set up on their own. They were active with their own business for, in seems, only a short time: 1905 - 1908.

I have a postcard, postally-used in 1908 , with that title, but no indication of where they were based. I would appreciate any info. that might tell me more about
The Knight Collection.

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Re: Publisher The Knight Collection

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

Referring to Anthony Byatt's invaluable reference book 'Picture Postcards and their Publishers' I can confirm that the Knight Brothers, Watson & George, had left Wrench in 1904 when the company was taken over after financial difficulties.

They chose a chess knight as their trade mark and their series of cards began with the first number of each set: each card was also individually numbered.

The title "the Knight Collection" does not feature in the reference, so I cannot be sure if it was them or not. An illustration of the front/back would help.
~ send it on a Postcard please ~