PC delivered 112 years late! Humbug!

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Moonraker

PC delivered 112 years late! Humbug!

Post by Moonraker »

Mother, 24, is stunned after Royal Mail delivered a postcard 112 years after it was sent to the previous owner of her house.

A silly story of the type that appears in local and national newspapers from time to time). And in some versions of the article Royal Mail gets the blame - as if it had been hanging on to the card for so long. It's worth next to nothing, like a number of other used postcards that are a century or more old, and some people might think it harmless fun to put it through the letter-box.

And just as I was about to "Submit Reply" I noted this comment to the Daily Mail article:

"Can I just say, I originally asked our local Plymouth newspaper to post this story - for free to see if I could find any of her family and give them the post card. I didnt contact the daily mail or have they contacted me I haven't been paid anything. I got the postcard delivered, thought it was incredible and wanted to reunite it with family. "

Obviously a very contrived story!

Nallis

Re: PC delivered 112 years late! Humbug!

Post by Nallis »

kevinramsdale wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:06 pm When I used to easily get around in these lightweight wheelchairs and send out cards on approval I occasionally had the unwanted ones returned in inadequate packaging, which would come open disgorging some or all of the contents into the postal system. This is certainly one way that these "late deliveries" could come about.
You think so? What makes you think it's contrived?
Last edited by Nallis on Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kevinramsdale

Post by kevinramsdale »

When I used to send out cards on approval I occasionally had the unwanted ones returned in inadequate packaging, which would come open disgorging some or all of the contents into the postal system. This is certainly one way that these "late deliveries" could come about.
Kevin

oldpostcarder

Post by oldpostcarder »

kevinramsdale wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:06 pm When I used to send out cards on approval I occasionally had the unwanted ones returned in inadequate packaging, which would come open disgorging some or all of the contents into the postal system. This is certainly one way that these "late deliveries" could come about.
Indeed - this is a more likely story... it has happened to me too :roll: