postcard or photograph ?

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

joelataxi

postcard or photograph ?

Post by joelataxi »

is this classed as a postcard or a photograph ?
the back is totally blank
and measures 72mm by 102mm

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4121502

MichaelDay
Site Admin

Re: postcard or photograph ?

Post by MichaelDay »

Sometimes 'postcard size' cards appear with blank backs either by design or as a production error and opinion is split as to whether these are true postcards or not.

However your card is much smaller than standard postcard size - so, no it wouldn't be classed as a postcard.

Assuming it is at the production size (ie hasn't been trimmed since manufacture) it looks like the type of photo that would have been sold to tourists (usually in sets/packs) to put in a photo album.

[quote="joelataxi"]is this classed as a postcard or a photograph ?
the back is totally blank
and measures 72mm by 102mm

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4121502[/quote]

joelataxi

Post by joelataxi »

Thanks for that, it makes sense as it did come from an album, and it is at original production size,
I bought the album for the postcards (and the album)
which look very good quality RPs, (Italian scenes, i would guess around 1940s-50s) None are postally used but a couple have vehicles in the distance which is how i arrived at the guestimated date, also there's a couple with what must be the publishers phone number which is only a 2 digit No. they are corner mounted so in super condition.
There are some more of the same sized photo's with Venezia-Palazzo Ducale printed on the back, this i have gathered is a Palace in Venice.

MichaelDay
Site Admin

Post by MichaelDay »

The fact that it's not a true postcard doesn't necessarily mean it's not collectable as the photo itself would have the same appeal to a collector of that area.

... that said, the views used for these 'sets' were often the most popular and therefore 'common' ones and the same shots would have been used for postcard production too.

joelataxi

Post by joelataxi »

io think i'll leave it till after christmas, then test the water on e bay with a couple of the photo's