Names, Addresses and Messages on Postcards

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Baldlygo

Names, Addresses and Messages on Postcards

Post by Baldlygo »

Hi - my main interest in Postcards is in the wonderful 'window on the past' they can provide. My collection is mainly of old pictures which I can show freely on my history and geneology web sites.

It occurs to me that the names, addresses and messages on old cards could also be a great bonus to family history researchers. Does anyone know if there is anyone already collecting this information? I am assuming that collection and publication of names, addresses and messages from over 100 years ago would not contravene any rights or laws.

Paul

kevinramsdale

Post by kevinramsdale »

Yes the Family History people are on to this, especially a chap called Colin Buck who has been indexing cards by the names on the back for some time

http://www.parishchest.com/en-gb/dept_1481.html

Regards - Kevin
Kevin

Baldlygo

Post by Baldlygo »

Thanks for the link Kevin.

The prices seem resonable but I imagine the collection has to be rather limited. I suppose I was thinking of a database that anyone could contribute to and search online.

Regards - Paul

kevinramsdale

Post by kevinramsdale »

[quote="Baldlygo"]Thanks for the link Kevin.

The prices seem resonable but I imagine the collection has to be rather limited. I suppose I was thinking of a database that anyone could contribute to and search online.

Regards - Paul[/quote]

The idea certainly has possibilities if enough people could be persuaded to contribute, many might find entering the information a bit tedious though.

It could maybe be financed by making a small charge for a succesful find (sort of a no win no fee system) but I fear it would need a rather huge initial input to get it going.
Kevin

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I rather like this idea, although as Kevin says, it would be highly tedious and time consuming. When I buy old postcards, I tend to be interested in the picture, but my wife likes to read to reverse side - a bit of social history.

If Baldlygo would like to start something like this, I would willingly contribute, as and when time permitted.
Andrew

Baldlygo

Post by Baldlygo »

Andrew wrote:If Baldlygo would like to start something like this, I would willingly contribute, as and when time permitted.
Sadly I already have too many irons in the fire to think about starting a new project myself but I would be happy to donate info. from my own cards to an open existing database.

Thanks for the support of the idea.

Paul

tupence

Re: Names, Addresses and Messages on Postcards

Post by tupence »

Baldlygo wrote:Hi - my main interest in Postcards is in the wonderful 'window on the past' they can provide. My collection is mainly of old pictures which I can show freely on my history and geneology web sites.

It occurs to me that the names, addresses and messages on old cards could also be a great bonus to family history researchers. Does anyone know if there is anyone already collecting this information? I am assuming that collection and publication of names, addresses and messages from over 100 years ago would not contravene any rights or laws.

Paul
It could be nice to have a searchable archive online for people researching their family trees. I've been wondering about how do it on my site. I've already got all the postcards, including the backs, scanned and wouldn't mind entering the information from messages onto a database. The problem being, I know nothing about databases and wouldn't have a clue where to start - which is obviously a small drawback :wink: It is something I'm going to look into though, I'll let you know if I get anywhere with it.

MichaelDay
Site Admin

Post by MichaelDay »

I can help...

I can supply free web space, an SQL database and some php programming skills. I'll need work out how to configure some online forms for submitting data but the web pages displaying the info would be simple enough.

We'd need to work out what fields we'd need in the database, date, name address, message, contributor etc.

I'd also suggest we'd need to be able to restrict access to known contributors .. otherwise the system could be open to abuse.

If you want me to help let me know ... I'll understand if people want to do their own thing..