Deltiologist (Postcard Collector)

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

wakadowakado

Deltiologist (Postcard Collector)

Post by wakadowakado »

Why did you become one? Have you got an interesting story to tell?
Here is mine :
Back in the sixties my next door neighbour ran a sub-Post Office at Hauxton in Cambridgeshire. I dealt with a local firms postal affairs. The first postman's strike occurred. The postmistress hand stamped some envelopes and I started collecting circular postmarks for a while. I put it down to
'cause and effect' I hope this motivates your memory on the subject Best regards Brian

ECooper

Re: Deltiologist (Postcard Collector)

Post by ECooper »

I guess my story is quite typical. I was given a small collection by an elderly relative that contained a few scenes of the local area, plus other places the family had lived at or visited and some family shots I needed to do some research on, by which time I was hooked. I think of myself as a "Collector of Postcards" rather than Deltiologist (since I read on here that it's very much an American term).

Reminiscene

Re: Deltiologist (Postcard Collector)

Post by Reminiscene »

My collecting habit started with Victorian Cartes de Visite and Cabinet Portraits which I found in antiques shops and which I try to return to the families from which they came. After about a year, I found myself browsing through boxes of vintage postcards in said antiques shops and, before long, I was collecting those too. Not bad for somebody who absolutely detested history at school :!:
Reminiscene Vintage Postcards and Photographs
http://www.reminiscene.co.uk and http://reminiscene1.blogspot.com