Selling my collection

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

afe410

Selling my collection

Post by afe410 »

I have a reasonable postcard collection that I am preparing to auction. I naturally wish to create attractive lots and wonder what the best route is. Do I collate in groups such as transport, churches, castles, animals and so on or do I go down the regional route and put all Suffolk churches in Suffolk ? Is there a market now for social history cards? Are there any particular groups of cards such as holiday camp scenes of the 50's that are best sold as stand alone lots?

I live in East Anglia and also wonder which is the best auction house to use. Any thoughts would be appreciated. many thanks

kevinramsdale

Re: Selling my collection

Post by kevinramsdale »

afe410 wrote:I have a reasonable postcard collection that I am preparing to auction. I naturally wish to create attractive lots and wonder what the best route is. Do I collate in groups such as transport, churches, castles, animals and so on or do I go down the regional route and put all Suffolk churches in Suffolk ? Is there a market now for social history cards? Are there any particular groups of cards such as holiday camp scenes of the 50's that are best sold as stand alone lots?

I live in East Anglia and also wonder which is the best auction house to use. Any thoughts would be appreciated. many thanks

There is a list of auction houses at;

http://www.postcard.co.uk/auctions.php

Unfortunately the second ones down - Pottergate of Norwich - have recently ceased holding auctions.

It's important to consider the fee structure of the chosen one, some are such that quite large/valuable lots are necessary to make the project worthwhile.
Kevin

afe410

Post by afe410 »

Thank you Kevin. Your response is appreciated.

marianne

Post by marianne »

I have done quite a lot of selling on eBay but it can be time consuming and with the changed rules I suspect that buyer numbers will dwindle. However, I have bough several cards and pieces of original artwork from T Venett Smith and have been impressed with the service that they give - I have no experience as a seller but a friend speaks highly of them.
Marianne

postcard.co.uk

Post by postcard.co.uk »

marianne wrote:I have done quite a lot of selling on eBay but it can be time consuming and with the changed rules I suspect that buyer numbers will dwindle. However, I have bough several cards and pieces of original artwork from T Venett Smith and have been impressed with the service that they give - I have no experience as a seller but a friend speaks highly of them.
Marianne
T.Vennet-Smith are PTA members website:
http://www.vennett-smith.com/

marianne

Post by marianne »

I see in PPM this month (May) that the two thirds of the Pottergate team have restarted a slightly different business still in Bagley's Court, Norwich and that the other third is attending fairs, etc. but has hinted that he may return to the auction scene - keep an eye out for future developments.