Info requested on French postcards

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Tom Ruffles

Info requested on French postcards

Post by Tom Ruffles »

I am looking for information on French postcards available on the streets of Paris between about 1904 and 1908 (though probably before and after those dates). Specimens were picked up by Charles Urban, a film entrepreneur, and were used, he says, as inspiration for an early colour film process. I am trying to find out more about these alleged cards - can anyone help me please? Here is what an account says of them:

These were ‘made in two transparent parts, one red and one green. Either viewed alone presented a simple and perhaps commonplace view of scenery. When super-imposed and held to the light together, they presented scenery that was neither simple nor commonplace.

I'd be grateful for information on these cards.

Thanks

jofus65

Re: Info requested on French postcards

Post by jofus65 »

Have you had a look at the Charles Urban web-site? The history section, at: http://www.charlesurban.com/color.htm, details the development of his process. If it is accurate, the description would seem to exclude the possibility that Urban got inspiration from postcards.
However, at: http://www.charlesurban.com/prepared.htm there are reproductions of the 24 'Britain Prepared' warships postcards, which are done in a process that attempts to mimic the film process - perhaps the reverse of the process that you describe , but nevertheless the origin, perhaps, of your question? (ie, the pcs come from the film process, not the film process from the pcs). Stranger things have happened in the Chinese Whispers process of recalling events.
That is the only reference I can find to Urban and postcards. Apologies if I'm telling you what you already know.
jofus65

Tom Ruffles

Re: Info requested on French postcards

Post by Tom Ruffles »

Many thanks for this - the cards were alleged by Urban to be the inspiration for Kinemacolor but if they existed would have worked on a different principle. It looks to me like Urban trying to claim undue credit but I want to see if these sorts of cards ever existed, and how they might have caused Urban to make the conceptual leap to the Kinemacolor process. It looks like a later fabrication, and I doubt that cards as Urban describes them ever actually existed - but I would be happy to be proved wrong!