Should I break up a booklet of old postcards?

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

robotc

Should I break up a booklet of old postcards?

Post by robotc »

I am new to postcards and I have come into possession of a set of 19 cards showing views of Tahiti in the 1920's. They are bound into a booklet and are perforated to tear out. I want to sell them and wonder if I should sell them individually or as a set bound in the booklet. I don't want to break up the set if it has more value to a collector in its bound form. Thanks for any help.

Moonraker

Re: Should I break up a booklet of old postcards?

Post by Moonraker »

Keep it intact. Most such booklets would have been broken up anyway, so a complete one is much rarer.

Brianz

Post by Brianz »

Ditto, what Mooraker said. It is more likely to command a higher price if you are able to sell the booklet intact since it preserves the item's original integrity. This holds true for most collectibles whether toys in their original boxes, blocks of postage stamps, uncut banknote pages, etc.

robotc

Post by robotc »

Thanks to Moonraker and Brianz. I will keep the booklet together.

kevinramsdale

Post by kevinramsdale »

See also this thread from last March:

http://www.postcard.co.uk/messages/post ... klet#p1487
Kevin

Brianz

Post by Brianz »

Just back from Quebec City where I sorely wanted to purchase a couple of vertical "strings" of postcards being sold during the city's 400th anniversary. I did not purchase because there was no way to pack them and retain their integrity as units.

The reason I bring this up is to illustrate the difference between types of collectors and sellers regarding composite collections and booklets of cards. Those collectors wishing to preserve the historical record of postcard manufacture will not wish to separate the cards Those interested in preserving particular views will have no such reservation. Seller's will, of course, have price as a priority. One's purpose dictates procedure.