London Postcard Fair - how was it for you?

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Moonraker

London Postcard Fair - how was it for you?

Post by Moonraker »

This time last year we had a thread discussing the London Postcard Fair, in which I posted some slightly jaded comments reflecting the fact that the significant proportion of foreign dealers attending was most unlikely to have anything to offer me and that I saw some of the British dealers quite often. However, I did, and do, recognise that for many collectors the Fair is a great opportunity, and one worth travelling to.

This year I wondered if the proportion of foreign dealers was a bit higher and if a couple of dealers from the further-flung parts of the UK had not attended. Having seen many of the British dealers in May, and likely to see most of these again at Woking later this month, I got around the other stands in three hours, picking up a few items.

I was there on Friday, when an early announcement said that the attendance was matching that of the previous day. It certainly seemed comfortably busy.

The previous years' uniformed security staff appear to have been replaced by gents in civvies, who were rather less conspicuous. I've always assumed that their presence is not so much to control mobs storming particular stands but to keep an eye out for pilfering - though one year I was moved off the wide stairs where I was perched working out which stands to visit; this was something to do with blocking egress in case of emergency.

Lunch in the restaurant was good, if a little pricey, with some very pleasant staff in attendance.

So how was the fair for you?
Last edited by Moonraker on Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

splidger

Re: London Postcard Fair - how was it for you?

Post by splidger »

Only my second Westminster fair and since I picked up a few cards, two of which I had never seen before then I was on the whole pleased. I always enjoy myself at this kind of event, be it just looking through the cards, talking to the dealers or just chatting with like-minded collectors during a short sit down for a rest between stands.
My only disappointment is the venue - it feels very cramped to me and really hot with the volume of collectors milling around. It can often be a struggle to get to the table. More than at any of the other major fairs some people seem to be so rude, pushing into you and just expecting you to move out of their way, when a simple excuse me would suffice.
But hey - picked up a few new cards, so happy enough on the whole and will be back again next year for sure - just looking foward to Woking and Wickham now.

Moonraker

Re: Lonon Postcard Fair - how was it for you?

Post by Moonraker »

Cramped? I've always found it the most spacious of fairs, with perhaps a little spare space that could accommodate a couple of extra stands. I guess it's the nature/purpose of a horticultural hall that it should be hot :).

ECooper

Post by ECooper »

I went on the friday and was surprised how busy it was compared to last year or second day at any large fair. Didn't find it cramped though and still managed to grab a chair here and there. Didn't find it too hot at all.

This was the first fair I ever went to, but having now been to others, including Woking, YOrk etc. can say it's easily the classiest of them all. Perhaps not the largest in terms of dealers, but just better. I did also buy British cards from the foreigners!

The main difference I think is the hall itself which is awesome and the partition walls between stands which they don't seem to have anywhere else. The walls were used well for the decorations and exhibition items on the stands and round the hall and make it easy to differentiate between the stands and talk to dealers privately, (one thing I dislike at other fairs is when you ask a dealer for a particular subject and the rude dealer next to him pipes up 'I've got some of that mate' )

Didn't check out the catering this year as last year was a disapointment, but found an excellent local cafe / sandwich bar instead.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I only managed a couple of hours on the Friday. Still, I managed to spend a good deal, and got some good deals. Thanks to all who made it a great occasion.

Now for next year.

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

- and this year - 2010?
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I went on the Friday - and that being for only three hours.

It was quiet (the last 3 hours of the day), and I wish I had been there for longer. I didn't get round to all I wanted to see, and that's the fault of one dealer, whose stall had me enthralled for more time than I had allowed for. Maybe next year, after I've saved a few more pennies, I will spend two days there instead of the one.

Overall, very successful for me, and not a moment wasted.

Thank you to all the organisers and dealers. See you again next year.

Netstamps

Post by Netstamps »

Why can not I upload images. Will only error messages.
Hälsningar/Regards Kenneth Matz+46 070-748 39 92

Big Internetshop, Covers, Postal, Postcard over > 32.000 items online. www.netstamps.nu
Big auction www.netstamps.nu/auktion
Member of the Postcard Traders Association

Netstamps

Post by Netstamps »

OK, now I've posted pictures on my own forum. You are welcome to look at the pictures.
Would you like to comment etc., so you must register as a user. You can also choose English as the language

http://netstamps.egensajt.se/board/abou ... p-f23.html
Hälsningar/Regards Kenneth Matz+46 070-748 39 92

Big Internetshop, Covers, Postal, Postcard over > 32.000 items online. www.netstamps.nu
Big auction www.netstamps.nu/auktion
Member of the Postcard Traders Association