How much is this card worth?

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

leo5487

How much is this card worth?

Post by leo5487 »

Hello everyone! I come to the experts for assistance!

I recently found this postcard up in the attic and I don't remember where I got it from. It's a Philadelphia postcard and on the front it says...

Top Right: Philadelphia
Bottom Left: Independence Hall
Bottom Bottom Left: No. 205
Bottom Right: Patented Dec. 5th, 1905 No. 806631

And from the pictures, you can see that the postcard opens up and displays 12 scenes from around Philadelphia.
They are:

"Washington Monument"
"Chestnut Street, Post Office"
"Market Street"
"Independence Square"
"Philadelphia R.R Depot"
"34th Street Entrance To University Of Pennsylvania"
"City Hall"
"Pennsylvania R.R Depot"
"Memorial Hall, Fairmount Park"
"Liberty Bell"
"Pond Lillies, Rustic Bridge, Artificial Lake, Fairmount Park"
"Betsy Ross House, where first American flag was made"

On the back, the postcard says

"Printed Matter"
"Souvenir Mail Card"

And it also has two stamp marks that date September 5th, 1906 and Semptember 5th, 1906 (again)
It also has a George Washington stamp in the top right
On the right side, written vertically, it says Rotograph Co., N.Y., City (Germany).

And I was doing a little bit more research and I typed the patent number into eBay and I found it was patented by Leo Braun on December 5th, 1905
http://www.google.com/patents?id=AMBpAA ... act&zoom=4
Thats the link to view the patent.

So yeah, I wanted to sell it on eBay but I don't have the slightest clue on it's value. I'm always optimistic so ya never know!

Thanks!!

Moonraker

Re: How much is this card worth?

Post by Moonraker »

Not very much, I would think. Start it on eBay at 99p. More expert opinion may follow mine, but I'll be surprised if anyone suggests a starting price of more than £4.99.

coverkid72

Re: How much is this card worth?

Post by coverkid72 »

I would chance it and see what it does.

Based on the description it's a better item despite Philadelphia being a very common category. However, If it's just a souvenir folder with pull down postcards - these are not rare.