thanks found out lots

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

wokco

thanks found out lots

Post by wokco »

i have 4 postcards of a Military funeral of a sgt H R Mitchell liverpool kings regiment the funeral was held on 16th March 1912 this seems to be a very large event by the looks of the ammount of people who attended the funeral. does anyone have any idea why this big event was held for a sgt or as anyone seen the cards before i be intresred in any information
Last edited by wokco on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinramsdale

Re: help needed

Post by kevinramsdale »

There are some potentially useful contact details on this page:

http://www.liverpoolkingsregimentassoci ... .asp?id=85
Kevin

Moonraker

Re: help needed

Post by Moonraker »

What sort of people? if they are soldiers, then it wasn't uncommon in peacetime for a large number of his colleagues to be paraded when a man died. And a military parade, usually with a band, would always attract onlookers; I have cards of the funeral processions of early military aviators c1912 passing through the small village of Upavon with quite a crowd of civilians looking on.

Are there any clues (eg publisher's imprint) as to where the funeral was held? Even if it was held away from Liverpool, the local newspaper might have reported it. The Liverpool Local Studies Library is sure to have copies and, with such an exact date, may be prepared to do a search for you and, for a fee, provides copies of any article.

Alternatively, the British Library in London would have copies of local newspapers.

Moonraker