Intro and Question - Real Photo?

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Teirza

Intro and Question - Real Photo?

Post by Teirza »

Hi there. I've been collecting postcards for a few months and have really enjoyed learning about them. I have looked for forums before to talk to others about cards so I could learn more, but until today I hadn't found one.

A couple of months ago I bought a box of cards at an auction and many of them were RPPCs. However some of them weren't. I had someone tell me one wasn't that I thought was, but she has been collecting for a long time so I believed her. But everything I see says that if you look and there are dots then they're ake, and if there aren't dots, then its a real photo. She said it was printed on a textured paper and so it wasn't real photo card. Ive been careful when sorting through my cards to refer to Playle's or to the Metropolitan Postcard Club of NYC's website to help me categoize them, however I'm a little stumped sometimes. Like I found some that weren't on either site, but I found them being sold on a postcard collecting/selling site as real photo cards.

And I have a whole goup of Brussels (Bruxelles) postcards that are sepia toned, no dots, the pics are really clear and there is a slight sheen to them, but there is no mark on the back. Just red ink with an empty stamp box, an address line and a division line.

Do you all have other sites you use to figure out your cards?

The woman told me that I would know a RPPC because it would either say "Real Photo" on the bck or would have one of the stamp boxes or card backs shown on Playle's....but surely Playles doesn't have EVERY identification right?