Enjoyment From Your Postcard Collection

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

davyj

Enjoyment From Your Postcard Collection

Post by davyj »

I thought i would raise this topic, how much enjoyment does everyone get from their postcard collections.
How often do you get the cards out and view them ?
Is it a case where people get excited about adding a new card to their collection.
Or is there anyone that has got a collection and just leaves it in the cupboard ?
Personally i find it very relaxing when there is nothing on the TV to just sit & flick through my albums.
Come on folks share your thoughts & views.. :D

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Re: Enjoyment From Your Postcard Collection

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

Here's my view - these days very little on the telly appeals, and I don't go out much - so it's much more fun looking through my postcards. I never seem to tire of looking at them again and again - always seeing something different every time I look at them more and more. Then I might be adding them to my website as well, after careful selection. I have a postcard of the month feature on my website - eastlondonpostcard.co.uk - this keeps the interest alive and kicking alright. It entails getting a particular card and researching it's story. Or someone may request to view a particular postcard - or ask me about a view, which involves more research and so on it goes on ......... increasing the knowledeg base at the same time about the card and what it describes. Sometimes I get to show them off to someone (well, anyone really!) who shows an intrerest or I am asked to give a talk on them somewhere - even greater fun ........ if I'm not doing that, then I'm looking online at other Postcard-related websites - or trawling ebay and delcampe for any gems - time soon passes ........... I've always got some research of an artist/publisher/place etc. on the go - never ending enjoyment, never ending journeys to make .....
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

PostcardCollector

Post by PostcardCollector »

I get a lot of joy from organizing and resorting my huge collection. I love adding new cards, getting them all sleeved and slipping them into their proper place. Fantastic!

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

My collection of military Wiltshire is more a reference work nowadays and one that might prove useful to a museum or county record office. I add to it occasionally, but the item (not just PCs but covers and other paper ephemera) has to be pretty good. I'm seldom interested in yet another view of a tented camp or a group of soldiers.

Many of the cards are "written up", that is I've placed explanations and background facts in the sleeve with the card, and some of these could do with updating as my knowledge has developed. I confess though that it's something for a wet spell or recovery from flu. When looking through the cards (which are arranged in some 20 different sub-themes) I do some re-arranging to group related ones together.

At least this is an improvement on when I was a stamp collector. Stamps were put into albums, and the aim was to get a complete "run" of issues, say for the reign of George VI. Very seldom did I look through the albums.

Moonraker