need advice on preserving/restoring old postcards

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

pluffmud

need advice on preserving/restoring old postcards

Post by pluffmud »

hello,

i have some 25 paper boxes of antique postcards, with 10 postcards per box. the boxes are labeled "10 real photographs, by the official photographer of CANADIAN PACIFIC CRUISE". below that it says "published and copyright by Associated Screen News, Limited, MOntreal, Canada...They are unstamped and in varying condition; they haven't been handled but some of the boxes have an odd mold thing going on and the photos stick together. They are various locations from around the world, and some are fascinating pix. Is it worth trying to preserve them, and if so, whats the best way to "heal" them? Get them unstuck, etc.? I stuck them in the freezer to get rid of the mold, but not sure how much good it did. If i just pull the stuck ones apart, they peel off. maybe a blow-dryer?
I would sure appreciate any advice on fixing them, as well as any input on whether or not some of them have possible value.

Thanks and GOd bless,