Shoesmith & Etheridge (S&E)

Post a list of cards you're looking for in this section.

Moderator: MichaelDay

pc1894

Shoesmith & Etheridge (S&E)

Post by pc1894 »

Hello there! :D

I'm attempting to create a list of the cards from this publisher from my old town of Hastings in East Sussex, and also to find out more about the company itself, including the owners and workers.

There are an estimated 25,000 different cards from the early 1900's to when they were bought out by Bennett of Maidstone in the 1960's, the majority being views of Kent, Sussex and Hampshire.

I am currently extremely puzzled :?: how their numbering sequence started, as I have MANY examples of No1, No2 etc up to the mid thousands, when they seemed to sort themselves out, and only one example from then to the highest number so far known.

If you have any information about the company or cards you wish to move on... then please let me know?

Ron

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I have a few cards by Shoesmith & Etheridge.

Multiview showing Arundel, Bodiam, Camber, Hastings, Lewes & Pevensey Castles, no. unknown. (postally unused)
Ypres Tower, Rye, no. 22. (postally unused)
Pevensey Castle Eagle Tower, no. 1337 (postmarked 1957)
Pevensey Castle Roman gateway, no. 1698. (postally unused)
Pevensey Castle Roman gateway, no. 1699 (postally unused)
Deal Castle Entrance, no. 1970 (postmarked 1938)
Pevensey Castle from the SW, no. 2287 (postally unused)
Multiview showing Bodiam, Hastings, Herstmonceux & Pevensey Castles, no. 2507 (postally unused)
Hastings Castle, no. 4340 (postmarked 1950)
Bodiam Castle, no. 72A. (postally unused)
Deal Castle, no. D 10714. (postally unused)
Arundel Castle, no. D 11053. (postally unused)

pc1894

Shoesmith & Etheridge

Post by pc1894 »

Andrew

Many thanks for responding. I've been pleased to add 5 of your card numbers to my list, as I didn't have them!

Keep looking for me!

Thanks again

Ron.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Found a couple more.

Thatched Cottage, Steyning, no. 4918.
Thatched House & Chantry Green, no. 11999.
High Street, Steyning, no. 4910.
High Street, Steyning, no. 4907.

Bilbrough

Shoesmith & Etheridge

Post by Bilbrough »

Can I add to your list D17244 The Mill, Clymping, Littlehampton
This is, I believe, a later card than the one you have listed already D8909
The one I have is postmarked 7 Aug 63

I also have one of Clymping Church but cannot make out the number. It looks like D137 but the white number merges in the white background. That is postmarked 7 Aug 64.

DahliaGirl

Re: Shoesmith & Etheridge (S&E)

Post by DahliaGirl »

Hi. I am both a seller and collector of postcards (mostly art-type such as Quinton, Quatremain etc) - I mainly sell my postcards on eBay and have just been in the process of listing my last for today.

Yes, I know it is 1.40am, but a part-time job and looking after an elderly, disabled parent take up most of my time. Now to the basics. I use the internet to research postcards I am selling and have found a lot of very helpful sites - even so, it is sometimes very difficult to establish dates and publishers.

I was looking for Norman / Shoesmith & Etheridge Ltd. (a new one to me!) when a Google search came up with several possible resources - and I found your post re: compiling a list by the publishers who were in your home town.

Don't know if this is of any use to you. Details taken from my RP postcard (which is unposted) are as follows:

Front: Illuminated Fountain and Pier, Eastbourne followed by the number: 9025

Reverse: Post Card - between the 2 words is a drawing of the head of a "knight" with helmet and chain mail and a banner with the word NORMAN and Shoesmith & Etheridge Ltd. Hastings below

Greetings and Best Wishes - in small print, down left-hand side, reading from the bottom of the postcard upwards

Central dividing line states "Real Photo - Copyright"

I am happy to email you a scan of both the front and reverse if required for verification purposes.

Good luck with your endeavours. I love sites like this - and many of the others I have as "favourites" - they are informative and interesting, unfortunately they prove a bit distracting when I should be doing other more productive things.

pc1894

Post by pc1894 »

Greetings DahliaGirl!

Many thanks for your post re S&E. I don't have this card (9025), and have added it to my listing spreadsheet. A scan would be most welcome, as it would allow me to identify the back, using my back numbering scheme.

We also have another common interest - Salmon artist cards! I have some Quatremain but more Quintons, and am trying to make up the set of cards ARQ drew of the Isle of Wight (about 72 I think). I also belong to the Salmon Study Group - do you??

Thanks again for your interest.

Ron
ron@ronkemp.co.uk

DahliaGirl

Post by DahliaGirl »

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your reply. Glad my info was of some use to you - I'm new to these sort of forums, so how do I go about emailing you the scans via this site. Oops, just seen your email address. Will send after I finish this.

With regard to collecting cards, I am still very much a novice in this field. As a child/teenager/older person, I always bought postcards of places visited on school trips/days out/holdidays, etc., starting in the 60s. Several 100 (mostly from childhood) are in the loft since moving to Suffolk so that my husband & I could care for my Mum after Dad passed away. However, combining 2 houses into a bungalow has been akin to putting a quart (or more) into a pint pot! Items acquired in the 80s-90s are more readily accessible.

In a nutshell - almost 100% certain I have some Quintons & Quatremains inherited from grandparents, but sadly they are the ones in the loft. Topics &themes? Varied - depended on what interested me at the time - stately homes, churches/religious buildings, wind/watermills - list goes on. Realising I had to concentrate on a theme, I chose artist cards - Quin & Quat , plus others in their "style". Problem now, of course, is cost. Green with envy at what I see on eBay each day. Never mind, not whinging, I will acquire more as funds permit.

I have not heard of the Salmon Study Group - will have to investigate further.

Appreciate the info and, again, thank you for replying. If I come across any more Shoesmith & Etheridge, I will let you know.

ann

Post by ann »

Hello
I found this site by accident because I live in Hastings and until I found an old postcard in some old family bits I had never heard of Shoesmith & Etheridge, and I was trying to find out something about them. My postcard shows Milward Road Hastings which is where my Nan used to live when I was a little girl, she had marked her flat with a cross. The number of the card is D.14939. It is just a typical street with houses and a very strange subject for a postcard. The back of the card has Post Card written with a Norman head in the centre and the word Norman above the head. Up the divide it says copyright by Shoesmith & etheridge Ltd Hastings.

About Postcards

Post by About Postcards »

Hello DahliaGirl!

In the previous reply from Ron he forgot to mention his excellent checklist of S&E postcards which can be found at http://www.ronkemp.co.uk/pcchecklist.html . The checklist is in Microsoft Excel spreadsheet format. If you don'y have excel you can still handle the file by downloading the Excel reader from the Microsoft site.

DahliaGirl

Post by DahliaGirl »

Hello Linda. Thank you for the info. Yes, I have Excel, so things should be OK. I hope to find time to visit the website this coming weekend - currently my weekdays consist of going to work and visiting my husband who is currently in hospital. Having found that weekend visits are a nightmare and very time-consuming - mostly because public transport services (run by 3 different bus operators) do not "join" up with one another - I have decided to stay at home this weekend and look forward to viewing the site and catch up with some of my own postcard ventures. Best regards.

pc1894

Post by pc1894 »

Greetings Linda / DahliaGirl / Anne

I'm pleased that you share my interest in cards by the old Hastings publishers Shoesmith & Etheridge. I try to keep the listing I have posted on my website up to date, and as Issue 8 was posted earlier in the year, I have just uploaded to the website Issue 9! Please look at or save to your own computer if you wish. When I get more cards I promise to update the list more often.....Honest!

Regards

Ron

RAY

Post by RAY »

Ron,

Don't know if this is still current, but googling the above yours is the first item. I was researching 2 black & white cards, I think from the 50s, one, number 11261 The village green, Ringmer, the other 11264 The village pump, Ringmer, both unused, so no date. Might be of interest to you, and, if you can date them more accurately from the numbers, I would be much obliged.

Regards,

Ray

raysrecords@yahoo.co.uk

pc1894

Post by pc1894 »

Ray,

Many thanks for your post re the two Ringmer PC's by S&E. I knew about 11261 as I have a copy, but I have not seen 11264 before - so I will add it to my database!!

It is difficult to tell from the number the date it was published, but fortunately my copy of 11261 was postally used in August 1962, so assume it was published sometime in the late 50's - early 60's.

I'm guessing it has a deckle edge (wavy), as from this date the majority did have this feature. I would also imagine that on the back is a very small norman head, which was the trademark for this company over many years. There are a huge number of variations to this head - I currently know of nearly 100 - but from the 60's the smaller head was used.

Thanks again for the mail. If you find any more of Ringmer (almost certainly the others in the series will be of Ringmer - i.e. 11260 - 11270), then let me know?

Regards

Ron

RAY

Post by RAY »

Ron,

Thanks for the info. Yes the Ringmer cards do have a Norman head, it's 15mm high. Both cards, however, are straight edge with a white margin.

Kind regards,

Ray