Wedding postcards from WWII

Post a list of cards you're looking for in this section.

Moderator: MichaelDay

Denise.DocPhot

Wedding postcards from WWII

Post by Denise.DocPhot »

Hi,

I am in my final year of a Documentary Photography degree at University of Wales. I am currently working on a project inspired by materials from the Imperial War Museum. As part of my project, I am collecting photographs/postcards of wartime weddings. I have been looking for images which show the bride, or groom, or at least one guest, in military uniform.

The weddings I am interested in are from WWII (1939 - 45), and took place in the UK.

Does anyone have any of these? Please get in touch if you do, or if you have any idea about where I can find some. I have been buying the affordable ones from Ebay, but haven't got too many so far.

Thanks very much,

Denise

deanosaur1972

Re: Wedding postcards from WWII

Post by deanosaur1972 »

Hi Denise

The wedding postcards are popular with collectors. Most of the postcards that I have located so far have sold very quickly. I do have a couple of photographs.

First one has a date on the back 26/4/41 - measures 5.5 x 3.25 inches. Whether this is located in the UK or not is open to question?

Second one has no date so unconfirmed whether WWII or not but did come out of a WWII box of postcards.
This is a very small photograph at 3.5 x 2.5.

I probably have 100's but it will take months if not years to sort everything out.

Denise.DocPhot

Post by Denise.DocPhot »

Hi,

Thanks for coming back to me. Both photographs are lovely. The first one looks as though it was shot somewhere hot! The second, I am not so sure. I suppose I need to find a way checking what uniforms the men are wearing. How amazing that you have a box of cards all from WWII. Fabulous!

Do you sell your cards? Or keep them for private enjoyment?

Best wishes,

Denise

deanosaur1972

Post by deanosaur1972 »

Denise.DocPhot wrote:Hi,

Thanks for coming back to me. Both photographs are lovely. The first one looks as though it was shot somewhere hot! The second, I am not so sure. I suppose I need to find a way checking what uniforms the men are wearing. How amazing that you have a box of cards all from WWII. Fabulous!

Do you sell your cards? Or keep them for private enjoyment?

Best wishes,

Denise
Hi Denise

I keep a only a few which fit in with my collections - the vast majority go into my online shop which is on eBid.net. I have boxes containing millions so its a question of gradually sifting through them all - will take me years! All of the wedding postcards tend to sell within a few hours or days - but they do regularly appear so there will certainly be more. The photographs I pile into other boxes to be looked at later as the main focus is on postcards.

I will let you know when others appear that may interest you.

I hope your project is going well.

Denise.DocPhot

Post by Denise.DocPhot »

Hi,

I am not familiar with Ebid.net... Could you send me the link to your on-line shop? Send it in a private message if you aren't allowed to do it on here.

My project is going slowly... It all has to be handed in at the start of May though, so I am working hard to make something special. I don't know yet if the wedding photographs are going to be part of the final hand in. We shall see. Thanks for asking!

Best wishes,

Denise