Verdier Ltd. London, W. Postcard Printed in England

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

HelenAMorus

Verdier Ltd. London, W. Postcard Printed in England

Post by HelenAMorus »

Hello....

I have a Verdier, Ltd., London, W., Printed in England postcard with a 1909 postmark. The front of the card is a drawing of an elfin-like boy and a lady walking a dog on a leash. The caption reads: "Will . She . speak.."

I wanted to add two photos but I was unable to do so even though I sized them small. I am new to this forum and perhaps I am not doing it right or do not yet have permission.

Anyway, if anyone has any information of this card or maker, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Helen

Hopefully I am adding two photos of the post card....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53304399@N02/
Last edited by HelenAMorus on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

About Postcards

Re: Verdier Ltd. London, W. Postcard Printed in England

Post by About Postcards »

The only record I can find relating to Verdier Ltd is a reference to a company of that name being wound up (in 1909 I think), the details are at the The National Archives, Kew. Free to view if you can visit in person, otherwise a charge for on line access. The rererence number for the record is BT 31/18771/102149 (BT= Board of Trade & 31 is their dissolved company archive). For on line access the start point is at the link below.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cata ... 2008-08-08

Re inserting images. There is an 'IMG' button to the top of the 'post a message' box, it requires that your image is on the internet somewhere and you paste in the address of the picture (e.g. on your ISP account webspace, on flickr or photobucket etc). I've never tried it so as a test I'm putting an 'IMG' image link below to a very small picture (which is not related to your question). If you can see a picture below than using the IMG button is to way to go.

HelenAMorus

Post by HelenAMorus »

Thank you so much for your help!

About Postcards

Happy to try and help....

Good luck.

kevinramsdale

Post by kevinramsdale »

Tony Byatt's "Picture Postcards & Their Publishers" gives 1909 as the year the company began to publish postcards, rather than ceased to.

Their full name was Leon Verdier Ltd of 10 Dean St, Soho, London.

Apparently they were still publishing cards after the First World War.
Kevin

About Postcards

I stand corrected...., you are quite right Kevin.

Perhaps there was more than one West London company with the same name and I got the wrong one or I've missunderstood the Company registration data (though the Public Records Office did suggest that it was a 1909 company dissolution).

Whatever, you are quite correct. The Soho based Leon Verdier was indeed trading through WW1and beyond. They were still trading after WW2 and had a stand at the 1947 Btitish Industries fair "1947 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Publishers and Printers of Artistic Birthday and Christmas Cards, Gift Cards, Floral Post Cards and Calendars. Also Fine Art reproductions in Colourgravure, Olympia, 1st Floor, Stand No. H.2161a"

HelenAMorus

Post by HelenAMorus »

Thank you both, Linda and Kevin.....

I had a tough time but I was finally able to add two photos of the post card to my original post. I had to register with Flickr as the photo program I use (Shutterfly is the USA) did not work for me.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea as to the rarity or value of this post card?

Any additional help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Helen

About Postcards

Hello Helen,

The pictures are there, I can see them now.

Getting set up with a Flickr account (or with photobucket or any of the others) can be a pain but now that you have done so you'll find it much easier to post pictures to this and other sites or just use it to share images with others.

It's a nice postcard but not of any great value. No artist name. I guess the challenge you face now is to find others from the set or on a similar theme.

The value of a postcard is in the enjoyment you get from it and from finding out more about its publisher, artist or subject.

I hope this helps

Kind regards

HelenAMorus

Post by HelenAMorus »

Hello Again Linda,

Thanks again - I am new to post card collecting and your tip about the artist's name is most helpful.

Regards,
Helen