Football team postcard 1914-15

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

peterc

Football team postcard 1914-15

Post by peterc »

My first post on this forum!

I have a postcard relating to a football team (PC F.C.) dated 1914-15. Would anybody know what 'PC' stands for? It is likely that the team was from East London around Leyton or Clapton.

Any help appreciated.

Peter

wakadowakado

Re: Football team postcard 1914-15

Post by wakadowakado »

Hi Peter, Could the PC stand for Plumpstead Common if so there could be connections with the early days of Arsenal history
Do you have any details of photographer or players names on the item? Sounds interesting Brian

peterc

Post by peterc »

Thanks for your reply and suggestion Brian.

The 'PC F.C.' is painted on the ball.

No players' names but I have the photographer's name - Scott's from 53 Leytonstone Rd E.

Would it help if I attach an image of the postcard (i.e. if I can do this?)

Regards

Peter

wakadowakado

Post by wakadowakado »

Hi Peter, The only other route you could investigate is if there is any connection with Proud Clapton -Orient F>C. or maybe to do with a Church team in East London. It is documented that Leyton Orient supporters club have made a couple of visits
to the Somme in France to honour the fallen comrades some ninety years ago. Could be worth connecting with the supporters club. You never know the description might yield something from one of their devotees who has intimate knowledge of East London. Hope
you are lucky Brian

peterc

Post by peterc »

Thanks for your helpful response Brian.

To suggest it may be connected to the Somme in France is an interesting one because I also have World War 1 postcards. I have listed the PC Football Club postcard (as well as many others) on EBAY so it will be interesting to know how much it will sell for.

Thanks again

Peter