Number of Postcards Featuring Gladys Cooper

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Ken

Number of Postcards Featuring Gladys Cooper

Post by Ken »

Does anyone know exactly how many different postcards featured the actress Gladys Cooper? I've heard numbers that range from "over 400" to "thousands". I know that thousands of copies of each of her images were produced, but exactly how many different images exist? Any information would be appreciated.

Ken Robichaux
USA

About Postcards

Re: Number of Postcards Featuring Gladys Cooper

Post by About Postcards »

I very much doubt that you will get a definitive answer but the number is certainly in the thousands.

One Gladys Cooper website currently has some 1700+ different postcards displayed and say that they adding more all the time. You can find them here
http://www.gladyscooper.com/Postcards/Postcards.html

There is also a (smaller) checklist by publisher from someones collection at the link below.
http://www.oocities.org/wurmorder/GC1.HTM

Ken

Post by Ken »

Thanks for the reply and the links. I thought the number 400+ sounded low. According to Robert Morley, in his book "A Musing Morley", he received a letter from the secretary of The Postcard Club of Great Britain "assuring us that their historian had every card which featured Miss Cooper and that her beauty was thus preserved for posterity." Would anyone on this message board know how to contact that historian?

Ken Robichaux
USA

About Postcards

Hello Ken,

I'm really not sure but a Google search for "The Postcard Club of Great Britain" returns details of a "Drene Brennan" as Secretary (aged 80+ two years ago) and also provides postal and telephone contact details. I don't know if they are current but you might like to follow it up.

I suspect that the information is out of date but the following link is all I have

http://www.artefact.co.uk/sk/sug_2.htm

Hope this helps

Ken

Post by Ken »

Thanks so much for directing me to that link. I'll follow-up and let you know what, if anything, I discover.

Ken Robichaux
USA

About Postcards

Good luck with the follow up and please do let everyone here know if you meet with success. I know that there are many others who are researching the same question.

Ken

Post by Ken »

I contacted Paul who runs the highly informative website http://www.gladyscooper.com/ where he has posted many postcard images of Gladys Cooper. He feels that it would be almost impossible to come up with an "exact" number of different Gladys Cooper images used on postcards, but the number is in the thousands. He currently has posted about 1700 different postcard images of Gladys on his website, and has about that same number in his collection that he hasn't posted yet because they form only partial sets (each set consists of six postcards). However, many of the sets contain the same image from the same negative that has been either reversed or cropped, and many postcards are "greeting" postcards that contain the same image as previously released on a "portrait" postcard. Therefore, the approximately 3500 different postcards of Gladys Cooper in Paul's collection include some repeated images as mentioned above, but he estimates that there may be more than 1500 more postcard images of her that he does not yet have. Paul said that he finds and purchases new postcard images of Gladys Cooper almost every week. So the answer to my question, I think it would be safe to say, is that there were well over 3,000 different images of Gladys Cooper on picture postcards produced during her lifetime.

Ken Robichaux
USA

carlos08

Post by carlos08 »

Hello. I'm convinced that there are Last Minute Travel and Flight Deals definitely over a 100 different photographic postcards with Gladys Cooper, but i it seems unreal to count them all. At least, those who are interested may collect them through blogs, there are lots of pretty postcards with her image i really adore.