Hello and some questions.

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

nooneyouknow

Hello and some questions.

Post by nooneyouknow »

Hi,

Im not a collector and know nothing about value etc.

Im trying to raise money for hospital and I have found some old postcards and are thinking of selling them.

One postcard that looks interesting (again I know zero about this subject) is an 'alumino registered' and 'plantine' series size 3.5x5" card of a 'mumbles pier' south wales. before the lifeboat station was added. Maybe its the piers opening day 1898, as the place and tram is packed full of people. the stamp area on the back is for '1/2d'

The back of the card is devided and there is writing on it, but no stamp.

Are these types of cards worth anything?

Hope you can help.

many thanks

nooneyouknow.

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Re: Hello and some questions.

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

Hello - a nice way to raise funds - hope it is successful.

The one you feature would have been produced after 1902 at the earliest - that's the date when divided backs on Postcards were finally allowed to pass through the post in this country. A halfpenny was the rate of inland postage at the time.

Mumbles Pier was a popular destination for day trippers and holiday makers alike and the souvenir Postcards always showed a good crowd - especially the scenes of the world-famous Tram/Train service which ran from Swansea, the first fare paying passenger rail service began in 1807!

These Postcards are collectable, but are in plentiful supply, so the value would be a couple of pounds maybe - rather depends on it's quality really.

Hope it helps - good luck with the fund raising.
~ send it on a Postcard please ~