Valex, Brel, Starpics, Top Star etc

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

ozzbook

Valex, Brel, Starpics, Top Star etc

Post by ozzbook »

Hi,

Just what you needed: another know-nothing newbie offering nothing, but asking plenty.

I'm researching a book on early UK popular music merchandising, and portrait postcards - sold in seaside towns, outide music venues on show nights, and via music instrument and record shops - were among the first items available to rock'n'roll and pop fans from around 1956 to around 1964 (when, it seems, they were overshadowed by all the new Beatle-era pop magazines). Obviously some of these cards have become doubly collectable.

I'm hoping to find out more about the four companies Valex (of Blackpool), Brel, Starpics (of Blackpool) and Top Star. I've been told - don't know how accurate this is - that Starpics was bought out by Photo Precision Ltd of St Albans, and I've seen what I think must be reprints of Brel cards with Kardorama information on the reverse, but the current incarnation of Kardorama was unable to tell me anything more about this.

Anyone have any more info they're willing to share?

ozzbook

ozzbook

Re: Valex, Brel, Starpics, Top Star etc

Post by ozzbook »

I see a fair few people have been interested enough to look in, but no response as yet. Considering these cards were so popular at the time, it's a shame that these companies are so poorly documented. I have found out a fair bit about Valex and Starpics, but the others are still a mystery. If anyone would prefer to exchange information privately, by all means send me a message...

albert

Post by albert »

Hi,
I'm not sure how much I can add to your quest for information as I've been equally frustrated in trying to find any records or listings of cards that were printed. I have a reasonable collection of Brel postcards and would be happy to share what little info I have. I would also be willing to help with any research.

david

Post by david »

Hi, I have a collection of Starpic photos of American TV stars of the 1950s / 1960s and want to know if there is in existence a catelogue of what was issued. I read your message of a year ago and wondered if your research had revealed anything. David

ozzbook

Post by ozzbook »

Thanks, Albert and David... we've picked this up in private messages.

I'm still particularly keen on finding out more... well, something (anything) about Brel, in particular. Complete mystery: no address or even town given on the cards, no trace in the early Sixties phone books on Ancestry, no mention in Google Books or the London Gazette, no adverts in early 1960s music publications.

Anyone who can give me even one small clue?

david

Post by david »

Hi Ozzbook

Have you found out anything on Starpics of Blackpool you can share with me? Have you found their catelogue from the 60s?

Regards

David

ozzbook

Post by ozzbook »

David,

I sent you a private message and an email some time ago, but didn't get a reply. I'll resend the email with Starpic in the subject field. If it doesn't show up in your inbox, check your spam file.

Harryc

Post by Harryc »

Hi. I came accross your post for 2012. Are you still researching these card manufactures. I am writing a book on Elvis memorabilia and these 3 companies all produced Elvis cards. I have some information please contact me if still interested in this area of collecting please message me. Take care. Harry

maseudrans

Post by maseudrans »

Harryc wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:54 am Hi. I came accross your post for 2012. Are you still researching these card manufactures. I am writing a book on Elvis memorabilia and these 3 companies all produced Elvis cards. I have some information please contact me if still interested in this area of collecting please message me. Take care. Harry
see more
That's interesting! Hope you'll get a response from them.

KellyP

Post by KellyP »

Haven't heard of these things lately but this gets me interesting.
hvac parts athens ga hvac baltimore