Postcard Collecting Project

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

ThomHewetson

Postcard Collecting Project

Post by ThomHewetson »

Hello,

My name is Thom Hewetson and I am taking part in a project as part of Brighton University in conjunction with Brighton Museum.
I am looking to research postcard collections.
If any of of you would be so kind, could you please tell me a little bit about your collections?
I would love to know what topics you like to collect, how you got started and what postcard collecting means to you.

Thanks a lot!

Sue

Re: Postcard Collecting Project

Post by Sue »

Hi
I started collecting when I was 7 for my Nan over in Ireland as she collected postcards and for every post card I brought her I would also buy myself one when my Nan stopped collecting I just carried on. My Nan gave me her collection I am not a collector of one subject I buy whatever appeals to me I also have brought a few collections belonging to other people and enjoy reading the backs and getting a look at the past, I have thousands and am still collecting I have a few old albums which I keep ones from 1945 and before in
thanks sue

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

Well, I just like Old things and have always collected something or other. Postcards I enjoy in particular because you never know what is out there to find - unlike stamps, let's say, which are all listed and catalogued and known about - with no real surprises (I'll probably get beaten down for saying that!) I like to find old Postcards of places I have been to or things that I have done or been associated with. Sometimes a Modern postcard grabs my eye and I'll save those too.

Becoming a dealer as well as a collector has allowed me to buy many postcards which I can't afford to keep, but is a real joy and priviledge to have them pass through my hands and on to a satisfied collector.
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

vectis101

Post by vectis101 »

Hi Thom,
My collecting started back in the 70's whilst attending a craft and postcard fair. started with some old xmas/easter cards, soon got into Royal Mails doing First Day postmarks etc. Branched out to collecting Railways, Liners, aircraft, posters and many more. Had over 50,000 at one time but disposed of a lot in the early 2000's (thought I was going to move home once again - never did). My current collections comprise Medici Cards of London. Royal Mail, National Postal Museum and all branches. and J Arthur Dixon 1942-2012 (Historian of the company).