Holmfirth "songs" series No 4902/2

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

10jant

Holmfirth "songs" series No 4902/2

Post by 10jant »

Hi there,
ref Samforth & co ltd Holmfirth England and New York

I am clearing a relatives house & have found a packet of postcards some of which have been marked 1917 and have series numbers on one edge

Please would you advise me if these are a collectable series

kind regards :D

MichaelDay
Site Admin

Re: Holmfirth "songs" series No 4902/2

Post by MichaelDay »

Bamforth Song Cards

They are 'worth' on average about £5 per set. But don't sell particularly well lately.

About Postcards

Re: Holmfirth "songs" series No 4902/2

Post by About Postcards »

I know this is a late reply but I hope it helps.

The card(s) you have are from an extensive series of "Song" postcards published by Bamforth & Co of Holmfirth. They issued the series in sets of two, three and four cards. There are also some singles, one card to the complete song. Each set depicts the verse of a popular song of the era leading up to and through WW1.

The series is much collected but, having been published in some volume, the prices are somewhere between one and two British Pounds per card. Individual cards have less appeal than complete sets. Sets with a WW1 theme tend to command higher prices and a very small number of the scarcer sets can see prices extending into the tens of pounds per card.

With the 100th anninversary of the start of WW1 approaching interest in some of these sets seems to be increasing. Similarly the low 'entry level' cost and period sentiment of these cards continues to appeal to those starting a new collection and to those with an interest in the popular music of the era.

The only referemce source I know of (other than occasional web published colletors checklists) is the incomplete and out of print "The Scherer-Silman Bamforth Postcard Catalogue", it sometimes shows up for sale on internet sites.