Q.E.McCulloch

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

davidjc111

Q.E.McCulloch

Post by davidjc111 »

Hi,
I have a few comic postcards by Q.E.McCulloch titled 'Playing the Game In India, Shaddow Stuff,Rolling Home To Dear Old Blighty,Ambala Swank&Taking A Short Holiday.
can anyone give me some info on these please,
Regards
David

About Postcards

Re: Q.E.McCulloch

Post by About Postcards »

Hello David,

I can remember having some of this series a while ago. Intriguing postcards with what look to be the work of an amateur illustrator and with speech 'bubbles' for the characters that at first sight looked to be drawn onto the card but were in n fact part of the printed illustration.

My own attempts to research them didn't get very far. The images and signature dates placed them as British Troops in India and the date, I think, was 1913. I failed to find a Q E McCulloch via the usual searches for artist or military records (though I was less than sure that I'd searched the military records as competently as I might). At one stage I began to think that the initial Q might be a G but that led me nowehere. I did also toy with the idea of trying a family history search via military records but failed to get round to it.

If it helps, Oxford University have copies of nine cards from the series in their WW1 digital archive. They describe them as "Humourous hand drawn postcards belonging to Q. E. McCulloch" as if their source had been the artist himself. However the submission record gives a name of J Cook who contributed the items via the Norwich and Norfolk Millennium Library (they might be worth a try regarding more information).

The Oxford University page with your cards can be found at http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/gwa/document/9090 and there are links from that page to images of each of the nine cards thet they have.

Do post back here if you manage to find out more.