A question

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

wilson

A question

Post by wilson »

Hi there, I am new to these forums and have a query about a post card collection I inherited from my great grandfather who was a post man in the 1900's.
There are many fascinating cards in the collection but there is one which I have been unable to find out any information about using the searches on the net.
It is dated Nov 15 1909 and has been sent from one post card collector to "The Post master" of Southend requesting that it be passed on to another post card collector which is how it was passed to my great grand father . The card is a fairly plain picture of commercial street in Newport but it has an embossed numbered stamp/ sticker on it which says "international society of post card collectors" Globe. It is numbered 447 Southend. It also has other writing on it in German and a reference to Berlin. I have searched the internet and can find only a reference to a "Globus" stamp collectors club based in Germany in the late 1800's. Has any one else come across this collectors club?
Many thanks in anticipation for any answers

deanosaur1972

Re: A question

Post by deanosaur1972 »

Nothing that you probably don't already know, but as nobody has replied.....

I have seen several for sale that have those stickers displayed on the back - if you put the German translation into google you will probably come up with a few. Almost certainly this group would have started in Berlin and sounds like a simple way of exchanging international postcards. A Germany based postcard collector/dealer would probably be the greatest source of information. I hope someone comes along with some answers for you.

Good luck

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

A good question: I believe this would have been a postcard sent by one of many exchange clubs that thrived during the 'Golden Age' - these would have been established through magazines and clubs set up to specifically to cater for the collector in those early days of Postcards - and international too.

Raphael Tuck, for example, established an exchange register as early as 1902 which it published annually with 2000+ names and addresses of collectors from all over the world who were keen to exchange postcards. This list was still going in 1929 apparently!

And there were 'Philocartophical' clubs aimed at collectors who were interested in Stamps as well as Postcards; a British Club existed, for example, where each member had a unique number preceded by the letters BEV (not sure what that meant) - the stamps were stuck on the picture side to make a handsome display once returned to the original sender...........

- so this may be how your Grandfathers one came to be - I will endeavour to find out more if I can - interesting topic -
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

About Postcards

Post by About Postcards »

From the description of the sticker given in the opening post above I think the yyour postcard was sent between members of the Globus (sometimes 'Globe') collectors society. The labels were rectangular (green as far as I can remember) and with a globe logo, the society name in German and space for the members number. The society seemed to have been founded in Berlin and had members worldwide, I've seen Canadian, German, and English examples.

There is some published information about the society in Issue 15 of the "The Postcard Album” (TPA), an international publication for collectors of old picture postcards. If you visit the website http://www.tpa-project.info/html/body_tpa_articles.html there is an email address on the right of the page via which you can request PDF copies of some back issue articles, the article you want is referenced lower down the same page as as "TPA 15 - 1" and entitled "Postcard Collector Societies Research: various material on ‘Globe/Globus’ / ‘Weltall’ / Jolly Jokers’ Club / ‘C.A. Concordia’ etc. (8 pages)".

I hope the above helps

Linda