Selling old Postcards

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

chrisintheuk

Selling old Postcards

Post by chrisintheuk »

Hello all
This is my first time here and I would like to pick your brains.
I hope this is the right place to ask these questions, if not I apologize and could the Moderator/owner move it if I have posted it in the wrong place.

I have about 35 Old Postcards which i bought many years back in a Bootfair, these include

6 X B+W Hendon Flying Grounds ( all Written on and dated 1911 with stamps) they are a bit faded,but still good condition.

1. Valkyrie - Hendon Flying Grounds
2. First Ariel Post (Mn G Hamel looking over his machine before leaving Hendon)
3. Hendon from the Fields
4. Mr Slack - Hendon( with single plane)
5. Hendon Flying Grounds( view of Biplanes)
6. Across the Fields - Hendon(view)

1 x 1910 Japan-British Exhibition - London (official postcard with stamp and written on)
1 x ALEXANDRIE - Le Port ( written on and stamped Army Post office 1917)
1 x Thames Embankment - London ( written on and stamped 1942) Colour card, but looks fantastic
1 x wedding of Lady Rachel Cavendish and Capt. The Hon J.G. Stewart (J beagle & Co, London)

These card above are the ones that stand out from the rest, most that i have are all dated around 1910-14

So not Knowing anything about Postcards, i wonder if there is a Market for them?

If anyone could shed some light on the possible worth or not, I would be most gratefull

many thanks Chris ( in Essex)

PS: I can supply scans of these cards if anyone is interested

About Postcards

Re: Selling old Postcards

Post by About Postcards »

Please bear in mind that it's always very difficult to be sure of these things without seeing the cards but the Hendon Group sounds interesting, the others are more routine and of limited value (two to four pounds each).

Of the Hendon cards the 'First Aerial Post' will have added value if the Postal cancellation carries the text 'Aerial Post' signifing that the card was trasnsported by air. Several tens of pounds if flown, ten to twenty otherwise.

For the other Hendon cards..... A photographic image will command higher prices than a printed one (suspect yours may be printed, use a magnifier to check) and images of single aircraft will be of more interest than general views.

To be accurate regarding value it's important to see the cards. If I were you, I'd take them along to a postcard fair when one is next in your area and get a few dealers to take a look.

Hope this helps