Help re Postcard collection

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Markk

Help re Postcard collection

Post by Markk »

Hi
I am hoping for some advice. My grandfather worked at London zoo as a keeper in the reptile house for most of his life. He was one of the chaps that visited far away countries on Yacht Rosaura to collect animals etc. He is quite well documented and published. I inherited his postcard collection (over 100) most photo type from all over the place Inc the UK, zoo postcards, Ceylon, Egypt, and even a few weird looking ones that say cabaret du neant, there's even one of a snake eating a chicken!, Most are photo types, most are blank (not written on). There's even a full postcard book that says Tourist visiter La Hague. I'm looking for someone to value the collection with a view to selling. Any ideas?. I've also 100's of original photos he took on his travels. Even photos of Canabels he encountered on his incredible journeys.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Kind regards
Mark

Markk

Re: Help re Postcard collection

Post by Markk »

Forgot to say he was 96 when he passed away around 10 years ago. To give you an idea of the age of some of these postcards.

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Hi Markk

As far as the postcards are concerned, the usual advice is to take them to a postcard fair and show them to several dealers and what they would pay. If you're UK-based there's a list of fairs accessible via the main page of this website.

There's probably no point in getting - and paying for - a valuation. Bear in mind that the price a dealer might pay could be a third of what a collector would pay - but then you have to find a collector who's interested!"

Moonraker
Last edited by Moonraker on Fri May 04, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Markk

Post by Markk »

Yes I'm uk based in Northampton. I'll keep my eye out for a fair. I was hoping there may be an honest nice collector near me I could show them too so I don't get ripped off. You never know there could be something very rare..

kevinramsdale

Post by kevinramsdale »

Markk wrote:Yes I'm uk based in Northampton. I'll keep my eye out for a fair. I was hoping there may be an honest nice collector near me I could show them too so I don't get ripped off. You never know there could be something very rare..
This one could fit your bill

Sat 2nd Jun 2012 NORTHAMPTON : Abbey Centre Overslade Close East Hunsbury NN4 0RZ

Follow the earlier advice to show them to several dealers, and if the cards are desirable you can in effect start a "bidding war"
Kevin

Markk

Post by Markk »

Ill be there!!! Thank you

rondryburgh1944

Post by rondryburgh1944 »

Good morning Mark,
I was also thinking of going to the Northampton Fair 2nd June..I am also new to postcard collecting..think you may have some cards I would be interested in,can we meet up at the show.Ron ( will send you my mobile number)

rondryburgh1944

Post by rondryburgh1944 »

Hi Markk
Sorry to have missed you at the Northampton Fair saturday. I am a new collecter and would be keen to look through your collection if still available.I live in Bedford and could arrange a meet up.
Ron