ANother unidentified publisher

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

nickbits

ANother unidentified publisher

Post by nickbits »

Hi All,

Got another unidentified publisher. No details on either side of the postcard, but the reverse has in the lower left corner, in red, a diamond followed by "5128 . . 1927". I know the latter is not a year as the postmark is 1923. It is marked as Made in England.

For some reason I cannot upload/attach a photo, so pop it on twitter if you need to see it, https://twitter.com/#!/drnickyoung/stat ... 77/photo/1

Any help appreciate.

Regards,
Nick

deanosaur1972

Re: ANother unidentified publisher

Post by deanosaur1972 »

Hi Nick

That coding on the card could be a printers code...

If that was the case...

Whatever symbol is inside the diamond is the printers logo - the next number would be a negative number representing the image and the last number (in this case 1927) would be the code of the publisher they were printing the card for.

So it may be a case of finding the printer first - and hunt from there.

For example if it was the letter 'G' inside the diamond (it doesn't look like it) then the printer would almost certainly be William Gates - but then you would still have to find out which publisher had the allotted number '1927'

nickbits

Re: ANother unidentified publisher

Post by nickbits »

Hi deanosaur1972,

You are a star. despite having been collecting postcards, Newbury and Thatcham, for a few years, I still come across things like this that I do not know. Certainly very useful and will help in tracking down the publisher. Afraid the bit in the diamond, even on the original, is difficult to identify. Would be fantastic if there was a central resource with all this information, publishers, printers, etc. on it!

Anyway, thank you for the help, very much appreciated.
Regards,
Nick