Sending Postcards through the post ...

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Spud66

Sending Postcards through the post ...

Post by Spud66 »

Bit of a basic one, I know - but I'm new to this hobby so please forgive me! I would be really grateful if anyone could offer me advice on the following:

1. What's the best way to send postcards safely through the post - those flimsy half-board enveloped don't really look up to it (tips on any reasonable suppliers of better alternatives would be great as well.)
2. Any views on the Royal Mail's 'print your own postage' option - looks like a lot less hassle than the queue at the local Post Office ... but there doesn't seem to be any safety net if your item goes astray?

Once again, many thanks for any help you may be able to give on these points.

Moonraker

Re: Sending Postcards through the post ...

Post by Moonraker »

Seeing no-one has jumped in to reply, here are my thoughts on Spud's first question,. The card-backed envelopes are quite expensive and most eBay vendors who send me cards opt for placing them inside one of those perspex (?) envelopes that dealers use at fairs, which provides a degree of waterproofing. This is reinforced externally by a piece of cardboard; some people use two pieces of card to sandwich the card(s), but this can take the thickness to beyond the 5mm of a "letter", making it a "large letter" and so costing more in postage. With my own occasional selling, I've inserted the final "product" (sealed within a normal paper envelope) through the "letter" slot of a cardboard "size guide" and it's just about passed through "freely", as specified by Royal Mail. Be aware that it goes through less easily with the longer side inserted.

Some people place the card and cardboard in a very snug envelope and then sellotape the edges; this makes the envelope a little difficult to open, and I usually employ a scalpel to slice along a shorter edge.

Moonraker

deanosaur1972

Post by deanosaur1972 »

Spud66 wrote:Bit of a basic one, I know - but I'm new to this hobby so please forgive me! I would be really grateful if anyone could offer me advice on the following:

1. What's the best way to send postcards safely through the post - those flimsy half-board enveloped don't really look up to it (tips on any reasonable suppliers of better alternatives would be great as well.)
2. Any views on the Royal Mail's 'print your own postage' option - looks like a lot less hassle than the queue at the local Post Office ... but there doesn't seem to be any safety net if your item goes astray?

Once again, many thanks for any help you may be able to give on these points.
The method I use is thick cardboard - the postcard goes in a protective film sleeve, bubble wrap layer affixed to the cardboard secured at 3 sides and posted in a padded envelope. So the postcard now can't move around as it is between the cardboard and the bubble wrap layer - but can be slid out easily when the padded envelope is opened. This does mean its too thick to go via ordinary 1st class postage - so 'Large Letter' postage rate is used for every postcard lot ordered but at least its properly packed.

The feedback that I get via e-mail from buyers about the packaging is always appreciative and I have been packing this way for years now.

As for print your own postage......... I prefer to go the Post Office and get proof of posting, which means I am at the post office 6 days a week every week! But it is only just up the road..

Spud66

Post by Spud66 »

Sorry for the delay in replying - many thanks, Deano and Moonraker - much appreciated!!!! :D

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I won a PC for 99p on eBay the other day and it was posted to me between two double pieces of thick cardboard (that's four in all, making a 20mm packet). Better too much than too little. Earlier this month I winced when from an other eBay vendor I received an old letter written on one small sheet with absolutely no protection at all - and no covering note or comps slip - making for a very flimsy envelope.

Moonraker