Wrench London Checklist?

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

CollectIreland

Re: Wrench London Checklist?

Post by CollectIreland »

Just reached 192 Irish cards.
I took the plunge and bought this one on eBay last week - €11including p+p from France. Worth every cent and not looking bad for a 114+ year old piece of ephemera! The pink hue is not on the card and appears to be caused by my scanner.

alanwarren.18

Post by alanwarren.18 »

Hi

Did you get my PM a few days ago about sending you a listing of Irish cards? It contained my email address.

Alan

CollectIreland

Post by CollectIreland »

Thanks to Alan my database and collection continues to grow daily. My latest acquisition was another 'must have' and I passed on an used version of the same card in preference for this gem! I'm up to 231 identified Irish cards today.

Dave43

Post by Dave43 »

Again sorry not to have done much on this lately but I bought 11343 Holborn Circus on Saturday obviously one of the set but without Wrench name or trademark, looking back I find I have 11354 Farringdon St the same, they are recognizable, pic, caption are the same and they are numbered but as I said no trademark

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

eastlondonpostcard wrote:
alanwarren.18 wrote:Hi

I am currently compiling an illustrated checklist of all 18,000 or so Wrench cards. So far I have logged 6,000 of them and of course this includes a number of the London cards you refer to - although at the moment I have a large number of gaps as well! Will be happy to share what information I have when I have completed some more of my research in the next two months or so - I expect to complete the whole checklist will take me about 2 to 3 years! One initial comment is that I have card no 11343 listed as the Langham Hotel and not Holborn Circus.

Hope this helps
Nice to hear from you and congratulations on your daunting task - well done!

And many thanks for sharing the information you have - I have a number of London related postcards by Wrench and have lists to match - also happy to share.

Among my favourite is Series 070 - London & Londoners by LEN - so far I have nine of the series - so, are there 12, I wonder?

After your note about postcard no. 11343 - I revisited the ones I have to hand from that list and note that usually the number on the front of the postcard matches the number on the back of the postcard: but, on this one it doesn't!

- as the illustrations show:
The actual view
Close up of right-hand corner to show the number
- a close-up of the number on back left edge - quite different!

It doesn't appear that the back has been altered in any way - so, is it a misprint, a mistake I wonder?
Well, I have acquired a bona-fide copy of this one now: numbers matching front and back!
(the number on the front appears at the top of the right hand edge...)
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

alanwarren.18

Post by alanwarren.18 »

Thanks for the update. I have now logged 12,500 of the 18,000+ cards produced by Evelyn Wrench and his successor, Wrench Postcards Limited. When I get time I will upload an updated listing of the London cards on to this forum. Thanks again.

alanwarren.18

Post by alanwarren.18 »

Here is the latest update for coloured Wrench cards as promised. This relates back to my earlier listings and shows that 5 cards are "still unknown" Can anyone help fill in those gaps for me?

11231 Lambeth Bridge, London
11239 Still unknown
11241 The Admiralty, London
11361 Still unknown
11366 Thames Embankment, London
11375 Hatton Garden from Holborn Circus, London
11435 Still unknown
14577 The Temperate House, Kew Gardens
14585 Still unknown
14586 Still unknown

If anyone else has listings of Wrench cards, it would be really good to hear from them (using the contact facility on this message board)

Many thanks

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

Be interested to see a list of postcards by LEN - series 070
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

Dave43

Post by Dave43 »

Sorry, it ages since I posted anything on these cards but I still use the list I downloaded way back. The cards are good and cos of this are expensive, a bit dear for me but occasionally I find a bargain!
But looking thru my accumulation (I daren't call it a collection!) of London cards I find Wrench's did a little more boring B&W cards of London hotels, I have No. 10991 Holborn Viaduct hotel, I found on Delcampe international No.1161 (low number?) Carlton Hotel No. 1534 Hotel Russell, No 7987 Metropole Hotel, No. 2661 Charing Cross Hotel
Of course the are many cards of hotels some with very similar if not identical pics