Charles Dickens - Frith Postcard

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Bridget

Charles Dickens - Frith Postcard

Post by Bridget »

Hello!

I'm not a collector of postcards but I can see the charm and addiction that might be in it, though I recently bought a lovely one and was curious to know more about it, like date and such.

I apologise for the poor quality photos, it looked much better before I uploaded it to the computer from my phone.

I've tried to do a little research but I can't find any postcards like this one, though I have discovered that there was an artist, William Powell Frith?

I hope I have posted this in the right place and look forward to hearing anything about it.

About Postcards

Re: Charles Dickens - Frith Postcard

Post by About Postcards »

Hello Bridget,

Your postcard is a monochrome reproduction of an oil painting held by the Victoria and Albert museum. The artist was indeed William Powell Frith (1819 - 1909) and the original painting dated from 1859. The image is notable for being disliked by Dickens. Confusingly there was also a postcard publisher named Frith, a different person.

You can find out a great deal more about the image and artist from the Victoria and Albert link below. When you get to the page you will find two tabs beneath and to the right of the image labelled "Summary" and More Information", click those for extensive details.

William Powell Frith

Cards such as yours were produced in considerable volume and consequently are of limited monetary value today. However there are many other Dickens related cards out there and it's a very popular theme amongst collectors. You'll find images of the man, centenary of birth postcards, images of his birthplace and of places associated with his works, and artist illustrated postcards depicting characters from his works (there are the most sought after). Perhaps your Charles Dickens card could be the first in your Dickens themed collection ?

I hope this helps

Bridget

Post by Bridget »

Thank you for the great response, it helped a lot!

My apologies it took me so long to reply but since first posting on here, I've now become completely addicted to old postcards. Opps!

About Postcards

Post by About Postcards »

It's a pleasure, both to help and to get someone started with postcard collecting.

Good luck with the collection