Date & 'Understanding' a Bamforth Card please.

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Rodney

Date & 'Understanding' a Bamforth Card please.

Post by Rodney »

Can anyone help date the card on the link below please? I assume the design of the back is some indication. However of more interest is the picture's message, is this some sort of topical or political comment of the time? The red triangle (1904 Road Traffic 'Caution' sign) is very British (although the post should be either plain white or b+w!) but the background scene looks a little North American. It strikes me as a little unusual although I think it is a reasonably common PC.
This link should take you to the front of the card and then you will also see the reverse on an adjacent image.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/100130596@N07/12653753684/

Many thanks
Rodney

kevinramsdale

Re: Date & 'Understanding' a Bamforth Card please.

Post by kevinramsdale »

Hello Rodney - I would think that the caption is a reference to the food shortages in the UK in the later stages of the First World War, and for some time afterwards. It therefore dates from around 1918, give or take a few years, and would be quite sought after by Bamforth collectors - Kevin
Kevin

Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Thank you Kevin.
Yes I'd thought maybe the 20s from the general scene but couldn't make sense of the message. As you say it could well be a reference to wartime shortages which I think lasted into the 20s. This card does not seem to have a serial number which presumably could have dated it? I've only just started a small foray into comic PC with the subject of pre 1965 road traffic signs (my main interest) and have been pleased with the number I have found in just a few months. I must admit I do get a chuckle when reading some of the others as I scroll through Ebay, they certainly are the forerunners of the Carry On films.
Do you know when the fancy design on the back of my card was dropped by Bamforth?
Cheers
Rodney

About Postcards

Post by About Postcards »

Yes, it's a British scene(right hand drive vehicles, Colmans Mustard ad, etc). It's a 1914-1918 WW1 postcard and it refers to the food Shortages in Britain at that time, there were many other comic postcards on the same theme. I've a copy that was posted in 1915.

Bamforth produced a considerable number of cards, some in named series, some numbered, and some with just the company name on them The "Scherer Silman catalogue" (out of print but occasionally available second hand on eBay etc) made a brave attempt at listing all Bamforth postcards and series but it made no real attempt at dating. The best guide is often the subject matter and, of course, postal date if known.

Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Many thanks.
Rodney