T. Gilson

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

frogseye

T. Gilson

Post by frogseye »

Is there anyone here who knows anything about T. Gilson postcards?

In particular I'm interested in finding out about his early output:

1. Were his early cards signed?
2. He was published mainly by E.J. Hey & Co early on, did they publish other artists apart from Gilson?

He's famous for the young children in adult situations type of card and was very prolific during the First World War. But before he settled into that style of card he seems to produced others in different styles and it's these I'm trying to get to grips with.

Any help appreciated!

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Re: T. Gilson

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

I can add some information about the publisher E J Hey... they entered the postcard scene in 1908 and had premises at 57-59 Ludgate Hill London. It was from here that their noteworthy 'Ludgate Series' started. Besides Gilson comic postcards, there were a number by Frederick Spurgin, including some unusual Dutch subjects with blue as a predominant colour.

Some of their earlier postcards were imported from Germany, most with the imprint 'N P G' (Neue Photgraphische Gesellschaft A G Steglitz) and were of Children or Birthday subjects.

The company disappeared from London about 1921
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

frogseye

Post by frogseye »

Thanks for the extra info.

I have a 1910 card signed by Gilson that I presume was published/printed abroad as it just has 'G.S.B.' on the reverse.

I believe some of Hey's cards were printed without their name on. I have seen some which I think might be by Gilson (they're unsigned) but only have 'British Manufacture' and 'Series No..' on the reverse.

All very frustrating ... but then that's all part of collecting isn't it!

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

Just discovered a splendid article on Thomas Costerton Gilson in the July 2017 edition of Picture Postcard Monthly 8)
~ send it on a Postcard please ~