Hand Painted Postcards

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

CollectIreland

Re: Hand Painted Postcards

Post by CollectIreland »

Back in 2018 I purchased a hand painted card on eBay to adapt for use for as a Christmas card - the result (below right) was very pleasing; however, I recently came across what must have been the original card which my artist must have used as his inspiration. The original, in my opinion, was far inferior to the copy - especially the very odd inclusion of the sunburst which completely ruins the picture. It's not the first time that I've come across this scenario but I find it interesting nonetheless. The original card was published by Woolstone Bros., in their Milton Series - 532 - and posted in 1903.

CollectIreland

Post by CollectIreland »

A couple of more recent purchases; neither earth shatteringly interesting but I felt still worthy of preservation and only a few pounds.

The Belfast Lough card dates from 1913 and I'm sure that its creator would be amazed that it still survives.

CollectIreland

Post by CollectIreland »

Another OAS acquisition after a few months famine - I'm still in the market for any other examples!

CollectIreland

Post by CollectIreland »

I picked up these three Dartmoor cards on eBay recently - just £20 - and by the same hand as the first card in this thread but from a different dealer. No clue as to who the artist was but they were certainly talented

CollectIreland

Post by CollectIreland »

Another recent eBay purchase - the S.S.Stanley Hall cargo ship - a massive outlay of £5.09 including p+p.
The painting is a good likeness of the ship which was launched on Tyneside in 1894 and was scrapped at Rosyth in 1928.

CollectIreland

Post by CollectIreland »

After a lean few months I picked up this little work of art on eBay tonight for just £5.95 including p+p.
Christchurch Priory in Dorset - a lot of detail packed into a small space.

CollectIreland

Post by CollectIreland »

Little enough coming up for sale these days and so I made another mercy purchase this morning and bought this untitled, unsigned and unposted, card on eBay for just £1.49 including p+p! Judging by the appearance of the card - an early undivided back - it's probably the best part of 120 years old. Nothing special but it deserves to live on. :)

CollectIreland

Post by CollectIreland »

After another fallow period not helped by lack of time for searches I stumbled on two previously unseen OAS cards on eBay this morning. I briefly toyed with the idea of making offers and then thought better of it and went ahead with the BIN option. €60 including p+p from the USA - yikes! They are unused and ultra rare so I'm happy enough. If you have any OAS cards that you wish to dispose of feel free to get in touch: collectireland@gmail.com :)

oldpostcarder

Post by oldpostcarder »

Wow! These are stunning and the price too! Intrigued to know why and who/what is OAS?

CollectIreland

Post by CollectIreland »

oldpostcarder wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:14 am Wow! These are stunning and the price too! Intrigued to know why and who/what is OAS?
Oliver Adelaide Swanzy (OAS) (1881 – 1974)

More about her on my blog here: https://irishpostcards.wordpress.com/postcard-artists/ :)

oldpostcarder

Post by oldpostcarder »

Great stuff - many thanks for the info :D