Help to identify publisher: RBL?

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

35capade

Help to identify publisher: RBL?

Post by 35capade »

Hello, is there anyone out there who could help me identify the publisher who uses this logo?

Sorry, it's behind some writing but it's the only card I have with this logo. It looks to me like three letters overlaid: R, B and L. Could be RBL, or BRL! There's also a small 'P' to the right which I take to mean 'Publishers', perhaps?

The postcard shows Carlisle Cathedral, however, I'm a local collector and don't have any others from this publisher so I'm doubtful it's a local publisher, but could be.

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Re: Help to identify publisher: RBL?

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

The initials belong to Brown & Rawcliffe Ltd., Liverpool - the letter to the right is a 'D' and I'm not sure what that stands for. Their main output was an extensive range of heraldic postcards in the B & R Camera series and a similar Manx Camera series. They also produced some water colours in the Sunset series + some Irish subjects and a number of humorous postcards in the Write-away series.

Information taken from my 'Picture Postcards & their Publishers' by Anthony Byatt :D
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

35capade

Re: Help to identify publisher: RBL?

Post by 35capade »

Wonderful! Thanks very much - I mist get a copy of Byatt's book, when I find one I can afford :)