Valuation of a card help required.

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Chris broadley

Valuation of a card help required.

Post by Chris broadley »

Hi I have a post card taken from the top of the St Augustines church Hedon ( East Yorkshire) looking down at the Hedon racecourse. The racecourse closed in 1909 later becoming an airfield most famously being the airfield that Amy Johnson landed on following her record breaking solo flight to Australia.

I bought this postcard around 1986 at a local flee market for £15, I should add it had personal interest to me as I grew up at a small row of houses right in front of the field. When I purchased it the dealer told me he’d only ever seen one other of these cards in the 25 years or so he’d been dealing in them. I’ve over the years looked at car boot sales, flee markets, antique shops and online to try and find this cards value and have drawn a blank. I simply have never ever seen one like it, the closest I’ve come is a photo copy of the card on sale on eBay but as I say it’s a repro photo of the actual card I have.

Can any of you nice people help me with a rough idea of it’s value now? It has to be rare surely?

A link to the picture of the card the photo I mention on eBay is below for your reference, obviously this has no value I know but it shows you what my card looks like.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eyc-87-Racec ... 890.l49292

Cheers for your help.

oldpostcarder

Re: Valuation of a card help required.

Post by oldpostcarder »

It obviously holds dear to you and was worth the £15 you paid for it all those years ago. To someone else it has different appeal. Yet I'm sure it doesn't turn up very often, and there it is being copied online for a pittance, which devalues yours entirely!

Have you asked the seller where he obtained a copy of it? Not entirely sure I go along with the practice of selling copies this way... :roll:

Chris broadley

Post by Chris broadley »

No I’ve not asked them, I have seen it in a book once of the area so maybe there.

Chris broadley

Post by Chris broadley »

Out of interest I’ve asked. Now to wait a response if one comes.