Advice needed re vintage family postcards

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

avrilmac

Advice needed re vintage family postcards

Post by avrilmac »

I have a collection of 250 vintage postcards (and lots of other ephemera, like embroidered cards, posters, old Christmas cards) sent by eight siblings and assorted cousins to each other between 1901 and the Fifties. I have them all organised in pc covers and by date, then by who sent to whom and in date order.

I started going through them again a few days ago, as I want to organise them better, other than being stored in boxes (but find that every postcard tells a story so it will be a slow process. I don't want to sell, though I think there are a few interesting ones - like a McGill suffragette card, and lots of WW1, and theatre/actress cards.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome ... I am already thinking of an excel spreadsheet or software which might make finding the individual cards easier than at present. I ook forward to your comments.

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Re: Advice needed re vintage family postcards

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

avrilmac wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:29 pm I have a collection of 250 vintage postcards (and lots of other ephemera, like embroidered cards, posters, old Christmas cards) sent by eight siblings and assorted cousins to each other between 1901 and the Fifties. I have them all organised in pc covers and by date, then by who sent to whom and in date order.

I started going through them again a few days ago, as I want to organise them better, other than being stored in boxes (but find that every postcard tells a story so it will be a slow process. I don't want to sell, though I think there are a few interesting ones - like a McGill suffragette card, and lots of WW1, and theatre/actress cards.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome ... I am already thinking of an excel spreadsheet or software which might make finding the individual cards easier than at present. I ook forward to your comments.
A great idea to keep and present your family mementos in this way!

There are various collectible software packages available that can help sort and organise it all for you, but in my opinion a simple spreadsheet may be enough to sort the data into searchable checklists and can also provide a link to a scanned image as well.

I have extended it a bit further to create forms that build into a database and conversely also provide access to the same serachable/filtered data when I need it. The hard work is the initial creation of all the those records and planning how you want to see it afterwards... but once it is electronic, all records can be transferred/updated/modified in so many ways!

Best luck with your task! :D
~ send it on a Postcard please ~