Postcard passion!

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Moonraker

Postcard passion!

Post by Moonraker »

Today's Sunday Times has an article, "Wish you were here - to see my postcard passion", claiming that PC collecting "has become the world's second most popular form of collecting after stamps" and quoting Trevor Chinery of Elstob & Elstob, the Yorkshire auctioneers, who says that the demographic of buyers is changing " lot" from predominantly male. A couple of collectors (one of Cornish cards) are quoted.

The Times even has a third leader (editorial) noting that cards have "a charm and tangibility" and that the longhand messages are "possibly more revealing" than the "performative vanity" of social media.

From my experience of trying to sell my stamp collections, I would have said that philately has collapsed, save when it comes to postal history and, ironically, Cinderella material (unofficial stamps, local issues).

Let's hope some of the new card collectors will find their way to this forum - and contribute!

CollectIreland

Re: Postcard passion!

Post by CollectIreland »

Judging from my own experience I would agree that postcard and stamp collecting are in terminal decline. Obviously the valuable items will still find homes with investors and an increasingly elderly pool of serious collectors but young people have zero interest in collecting anything. They have little if any interaction with the postal system, rarely if ever write or receive letter or cards - even Christmas cards - the latter are also going the way of the Dodo. All very depressing. Happy Christmas. :D

Sigrid94

Post by Sigrid94 »

I didn't even know about this fun fact. Very interesting developments.
Last edited by Sigrid94 on Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

samtom

Post by samtom »

There is a theory that the current senior generation alive today are likely to be the last that hold any value in material items.

I know that is a very general sweeping statement, but I can relate to the point they are trying to make